xmidi - MIDI FILE Player
xmidi is a graphical interface which allows
you to play MIDI files on the FM synthesizer in the enhanced 4-operator
- Quit - This button quits the application.
- File - This button pops up a file selection menu window. You
must select a MIDI file and press the OK button. Once the MIDI file is
read in, the channel buttons will have an instrument number
- Load - Pressing this button enables you to change the internal
instrument map of the FM synthesizer. The Load button reads a file called
sbi.def in the current directory.
- Show - This will pop up a selection window. which shows the
list of all intruments available in the FM synthesizer. This panel
can be used to change the intrument on a particular channel. To do this,
you must open a MIDI file and then toggle “ON” a channel button. You may
then high-light any instrument in the list and click on it. Notice that
the number on the channel button now reflects the number of the instrument
you have just selected.
- Speed - This slider changes the tempo of the MIDI file during
- Volume - This slider changes the volume of the MIDI file during
- Channel Buttons - There are 16 channels in MIDI. Channel 10
is reserved for percussion intruements. When a MIDI file is loaded, the
channel button has a number which is the number of the instrument in the
General MIDI patch map.
- Record - Pressing this button permit an external MIDI keyboard
to play notes on the FM synthesizer. The channels must be programmed with
an instrument in order to hear any music.
- Rewind - Pressing this button will rewind the MIDI file to the
beginning. You will hear the MIDI notes being played backwards.
- Play - Pressing this button will play the MIDI file. Playback
depends on the current Speed and Volume.
- Fast -Forward - Pressing this button will advance the MIDI file.
Notes willl be played back in rapid succession.
- Stop - Pressing this button will stop the current action - record,
rewind, play or fast-forward.