Skype 2.1.0.47 - no oss?

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

Re: Skype 2.1.0.47 - no oss?

Postby igorzwx » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:59 pm

cesium wrote:Well, what's limiting other skype versions from working isn't the "static" linkage, but that they use the ALSA sound API. skype had a "static OSS" version, which used the OSS sound API, and that's what is you use now. (Btw, It would be nice if people asked skype on their forums to make a new OSS version, or at least keep the old version on their website, since the link to that doesn't work anymore).

As for your issue, I guess you're using Gnome and Fedora? Fedora seems to have linked it quite heavily with PulseAudio... Maybe this will help.

Actually, it should not be difficult to create a kind of "anti-virus" for PulseAudio.
The task is very simple:
1. remove the virus
2. install Temüjin's packages from "audiohacks PPA"

A similar tool can be made for Fedora-Gnome too, I presume.
igorzwx
Supporter

Postby Temüjin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:35 pm

igorzwx wrote:It might be a bug in this manual:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound
In the old instruction: sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio
In the new instruction: sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
I would prefer a radical removal of PulseAudio, otherwise some "hidden evil" would remain, such as:
~/.asoundrc

.asoundrc is an alsa configuration file and it won't make a difference whether using purge or remove on pulseaudio. Also, it will only affect ALSA apps even if it is left behind.

Perhaps, but the last time I checked, simply removing Pulseaudio from Fedora wasn't as trivial as it is in Debian-based distros
Temüjin

Postby igorzwx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Temüjin wrote:
igorzwx wrote:It might be a bug in this manual:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound
In the old instruction: sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio
In the new instruction: sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
I would prefer a radical removal of PulseAudio, otherwise some "hidden evil" would remain, such as:
~/.asoundrc

.asoundrc is an alsa configuration file and it won't make a difference whether using purge or remove on pulseaudio. Also, it will only affect ALSA apps even if it is left behind.

Perhaps, but the last time I checked, simply removing Pulseaudio from Fedora wasn't as trivial as it is in Debian-based distros

It does make difference. Some apps may crash. I had such experience on Ubuntu 9.04 (OSS4) with GCompris. The removal of ALSA configs (with pulse) fixed the problem.

In a words, Martin also recommended the removal of ALSA configs:
http://martinbaselier.wordpress.com/

In any case, I have already installed Arch Linux.

Usually, it goes in this way:

Step 1: remove PulseAudio

Step 2: repair Gnome

Step 3: remove Ubuntu

Many Russian hackers have already changed to Arch Linux, or Gentoo, or else.
I do not know who is going to hack the next Ubuntu. Does it make sense?
igorzwx
Supporter

Postby Temüjin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:53 pm

Oh, now I see. Fixed. Thanks.

LOL. Something got lost in translation. This sounds like a death threat. :mrgreen:

At any rate, I have been trying to keep up with Ubuntu Lucid, and I have "hacked" that too, freeing the hostages from audio terrorism: http://0pointer.de/blog

I do not use Ubuntu as my main OS anymore because I don't like the direction it has gone. However, I still provide hacking services for the masses.
Temüjin

Postby igorzwx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Temüjin wrote:Oh, now I see. Fixed. Thanks.

LOL. Something got lost in translation. This sounds like a death threat. :mrgreen:

At any rate, I have been trying to keep up with Ubuntu Lucid, and I have "hacked" that too, freeing the hostages from audio terrorism: http://0pointer.de/blog

I do not use Ubuntu as my main OS anymore because I don't like the direction it has gone. However, I still provide hacking services for the masses.

The problem is that they did all the work themselves. And when you do this, you see what is inside, how it was made, and you begin to understand the design of Ubuntu/Debian. Naturally, you want to remove the ugly thing from your computer.

A kind of script, that is, "anti-virus" for PulseAudio, really makes sense, for it may prevent users from seeing Ubuntu's internals.
igorzwx
Supporter

Postby igorzwx » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:16 pm

lyovushka wrote:
igorzwx wrote:This is a listing from my terminal (Arch Linux):

$ yaourt skype-oss
1 community/skype-oss 2.0.0.72-2 [installed]
P2P software for high-quality voice communication (OSS-compatible version)
2 aur/bin32-skype-oss 2.0.0.72-3 (Out of Date) (47)
P2P software for high-quality voice communication (OSS-compatible version)
==> Enter n° (separated by blanks, or a range) of packages to be installed
==> ----------------------------------------------
==>

-----------------------------------------------------

I have it installed.
see also:
How to upgrade packages or install them from AUR
http://www.go2linux.org/how-to-install-and-use-yaourt

EDIT: You may need to install "sudo" (if you want to use Yaourt comfortable).

The first line of your output suggests that you already have skype-oss installed. I suppose you installed that when it was available. The problem is what to do now when it is not available.

Yesterday (2010.03.14 - March 14, 2010) , I installed Arch Linux on a relatively old Siemens notebook (Intel HDA, ICH6 family) with OSS4 and skype-oss. As before, skype-oss was successfully installed with exactly the same magic command:

$ yaourt skype-oss

OSS4 was installed from the official Arch Linux repositories with another magic command:

# pacman -S oss

"pacman" is Arch Linux package manager. QUOTE: "The pacman package manager is one of the main features of Arch Linux. It combines a simple binary package format with an easy-to-use build system (see makepkg and Arch Build System). "

In short, everything works "out of the box". You do not need to remove PulseAudio or other malware. But, if you want, you can install such things.

In Arch Linux, you do have the freedom of choice, and a kind of democracy. What is missing is the ideology of Ubuntu: "A person with Ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy) In the Soviet Union, we had a similar ideology and similar problems, of course. EDIT: The trick is that you get solidarity and other nice things instead of the freedom of choice.
igorzwx
Supporter

Previous

Return to Linux