strange problem no sound

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

strange problem no sound

Postby vamsi.chikati » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:08 am

Hi,
I can see the mixer bars(levels) moving up and down as desired when I run any video players or telephony apps, but absolutely no sound. Even osstest is playing sound on pcm0 which I can hear too.
I have installed OSS after removing alsa on ubuntu 10.10. Immediately after installing, all apps worked fine. I restarted and from then on problem started.
No sound from any application except from osstest, but mic was working(tested with a telephone) . And I was fiddling with ossdetect, ossxmix, and suddenly sound started coming from applications. I do not know what caused it work, just some time delay?? dont know.
Please suggest me what can be the problem. attaching ossmix, and ossinfo -v3 output.
Thanks in advance.
Vamsi
ossmix.txt
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 559 times

ossinfo_v3.txt
(6.07 KiB) Downloaded 559 times
vamsi.chikati

Re: strange problem no sound

Postby cesium » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:37 am

You say only osstest works? Possibly actual output is /dev/oss/.../pcm1. Does 'osstest 1' emit sound? If so, you need to follow this, using /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcm1 (instead of oss_sbxfi0 etc.) for the output location.
cesium
Developer

Postby vamsi.chikati » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:04 pm

No, only osstest 0 is emitting sound. osstest 1 does not emit any sound.

Little more information: Where as osstest is emitting sound but osstest -V is failing to emit sound. Occassionally when osstest -V is working all the applications too are working.

Looks like somehow vmix is failing to communicate with the physical device.
Last edited by vamsi.chikati on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vamsi.chikati

Postby cesium » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:23 pm

Hmm.. Does 'ossplay' work? (ossplay $wav_filename etc.) If so, it's a configuration issue - maybe this wiki page may help?
cesium
Developer

Postby vamsi.chikati » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Little more information: Where as osstest is emitting sound but osstest -V is failing to emit sound. Occassionally when osstest -V is working all the applications too are working.

Looks like somehow vmix is failing to communicate with the physical device.
Or is it anything to do with the sampling rate. ossmix says vmix sampling rate is 48k. is that ok?
Last edited by vamsi.chikati on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vamsi.chikati

Postby vamsi.chikati » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:27 pm

cesium wrote:Hmm.. Does 'ossplay' work? (ossplay $wav_filename etc.) If so, it's a configuration issue - maybe this wiki page may help?

No, ossplay also behaves exactly same. vmix levels are jumping but no sound emitted.
vamsi.chikati

Postby cesium » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:31 pm

But I guess 'ossplay -R' works? Hmm.. Lets try this:

A) Edit /usr/lib/oss/conf/osscore.conf, add "vmix_no_autoattach=1" line
B) Edit /usr/lib/oss/soundon.user, add "vmixctl attach -M /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcm0 /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcmin0" line before "exit 0" line.
C) chmod +x soundon.user file.
D) Restart OSS with 'sudo soundoff' and 'sudo soundon'

Then test again.

[Edit: Sampling rate seems fine. I don't think it has an effect. It's easy to change if you wish ('sudo vmixctl rate /dev/dsp 44100')]
cesium
Developer

Postby vamsi.chikati » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:55 pm

It seems to be the right direction. now osstest -V is emitting sound, and all other applications too.
But now
1). recording device is not working.

Actually I was a bit too hasty, after restart, it is again the same, osstest succeeds, but not osstest -V.

I am running some telephone apps in the startup with /dev/dsp. Can that be a concern if they start before oss?
vamsi.chikati

Postby igorzwx » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:50 pm

vamsi.chikati wrote:It seems to be the right direction. now osstest -V is emitting sound, and all other applications too.
But now
1). recording device is not working.

Actually I was a bit too hasty, after restart, it is again the same, osstest succeeds, but not osstest -V.

I am running some telephone apps in the startup with /dev/dsp. Can that be a concern if they start before oss?

Do you also have PulseAudio (or libpulse) installed?

You can make a "clear-cut test" with Arch LiveCD (with and without those "telephone apps")
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3933&p=16711#p16711
igorzwx
Known Member

Postby cesium » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:58 pm

vamsi.chikati wrote:recording device is not working.
Well, that's a separate issue, perhaps some mixer settings change will get that to work.

vamsi.chikati wrote:Actually I was a bit too hasty, after restart, it is again the same, osstest succeeds, but not osstest -V.
Hmm.. perhaps the settings didn't apply for some reason? IIRC, there should be some 'Virtual mixer attached to device' message in /var/log/soundon.log if you added the command to soundon.user.

vamsi.chikati wrote:I am running some telephone apps in the startup with /dev/dsp. Can that be a concern if they start before oss?
Hmmm... They shouldn't 'see' all that much, won't hurt to try though. You could try disabling these temporarily (chmod -x to their /etc/init.d/$something startup file)
cesium
Developer

Postby vamsi.chikati » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Thank you for your help.
Now I can see some consistent behaviour.
I have disabled auto attach of vmix like you suggested earlier, and I did not enable +x permission on soundon.user. Then and only then playback is emitting sound. osstest -V is working. otherwise only osstest is working but not -V. If I enable auto attach or if I do vmixctl attach pcm0 playback is not emitting sound.

Actually I can live with this, but vmixctl attach pcmin0 is failing even with -M option, thus no record option. "VMIXCTL_ATTACH: Input/output error" This is the error I get.

I can see that if left OSS untouched it works for mic and not for playback, if I stop it from auto attaching mic doesnt work but playback works. Can it give some information to narrow down the issue!!

I do not have pulseaudio.
Last edited by vamsi.chikati on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vamsi.chikati

Postby igorzwx » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:40 pm

vamsi.chikati wrote:Thank you for your help.
Now I can see some consistent behaviour.
I have disabled auto attach of vmix like you suggested earlier, and I did not enable +x permission on soundon.user. Then and only then playback is emitting sound. osstest -V is working. otherwise only osstest is working but not -V. If I enable auto attach or if I do vmixctl attach pcm0 playback is not emitting sound.

Actually I can live with this, but vmixctl attach pcmin0 is failing even with -M option, thus no record option. "VMIXCTL_ATTACH: Input/output error" This is the error I get.

I do not have pulseaudio.

But you may have "libpulse". Right?
Perhaps, it makes sense to test all possible configurations with Arch LiveCD.
igorzwx
Known Member

Postby vamsi.chikati » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Ohh ok, i'll do that right now.
vamsi.chikati

Postby cesium » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:01 pm

and I did not enable +x permission on soundon.user. Then and only then playback is emitting sound
Hmm.. vmix settings look fine. If you disable vmix, then multiple clients can't use the card at the same time. Ironically, your main option if vmix stays disabled would be pulse... What line do you to try to attach vmix?

Actually I can live with this, but vmixctl attach pcmin0 is failing even with -M option, thus no record option.
Rec needs to be the last argument. "vmixctl attach [options] output input" is the format. Also, it's possible /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcmin1 (and not pcmin0) is the correct input. What happens if you do "ossrecord -d/dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcmin1 - | ossplay -"? Can you get an echo?
cesium
Developer

Postby vamsi.chikati » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:40 pm

cesium wrote:
and I did not enable +x permission on soundon.user. Then and only then playback is emitting sound
Hmm.. vmix settings look fine. If you disable vmix, then multiple clients can't use the card at the same time. Ironically, your main option if vmix stays disabled would be pulse... What line do you to try to attach vmix?

I only disabled auto attach of vmix, not the vmix itself(just to clear the confusion if any).
I ran the "sudo vmixctl attach -M /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcm0 /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcmin0". Yes it is not giving error, but situation comes to square one. Seemingly by default this is happening. So no playback, but mic works.

Actually I can live with this, but vmixctl attach pcmin0 is failing even with -M option, thus no record option.
Rec needs to be the last argument. "vmixctl attach [options] output input" is the format. Also, it's possible /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcmin1 (and not pcmin0) is the correct input. What happens if you do "ossrecord -d/dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcmin1 - | ossplay -"? Can you get an echo?[/quote]
"ossrecord -d/dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcmin1 - | ossplay -" is silent, but pcmin0 is giving echo.
vamsi.chikati

Next

Return to Linux