Input/output error when trying to use ossrecord

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium, kodachi

Input/output error when trying to use ossrecord

Postby dogbertwrldrulr » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:08 pm

Hello,

This is my first post and I'm hoping I can get someone to help me with a problem. I am using a Delta 1010LT audio card with OSS 4.2 and whenever I try to use ossrecord to capture audio, I get "dev/dsp0: Input/output error" and I cant figure out for the life of me whats wrong. When installing the driver, its built from source (oss-v4.2-build2003-src-gpl). I am running CentOS 5.8. Attached are the output of lspci -v, ossinfo and ossmix.

Also, if I run osstest, it skips all of the inputs and gives me "<left> OK <right> Device returned error: Input/output error.

Some info about what I am doing (in case its relevant). We use the audio card for voice recognition and only have 2 mono inputs setup. I have no connections for any of the outputs so I cant test the output lines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan
Attachments
ossmix.txt
(1.75 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
ossinfo.txt
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
lspci.txt
(7.22 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
dogbertwrldrulr

Re: Input/output error when trying to use ossrecord

Postby igorzwx » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:46 pm

dogbertwrldrulr wrote:I cant figure out for the life of me whats wrong. When installing the driver, its built from source (oss-v4.2-build2003-src-gpl).

That source is very old. You may try the newest OSS v4.2 build 2007 viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4754
igorzwx

Postby dogbertwrldrulr » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:38 pm

I just upgraded to 2007 and got the same message.

One thing I did note was that in /var/log/messages, there is the following message during boot:

kernel: [nikal] More than 4GB of addressable memory detected.
kernel: [nikal] This configuration is not supported. Check the release notes for more information.
kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:05:01.0 disabled <- My 1010LT card
kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:01:00.1 disabled <- My onboard audio card that cant seem to be disabled through the BIOS
kernel: WARNING: at fs/proc/generic.c:782 remove_proc_entry()
kernel: [<c04abf21>] remove_proc_entry+0x112/0x169
kernel: [<f89da8d8>] snd_info_done+0x46/0x49 [snd]
kernel: [<f89da855>] alsa_sound_exit+0xa/0x30 [snd]
kernel: [<c04403d0>] sys_delete_module+0x19c/0x1c8
kernel: [<c044d42b>] audit_syscall_entry+0x193/0x1bd
kernel: [<c0404f4b>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb
kernel: =======================
kernel: PCI: Enabling device 0000:05:01.0 (0100 -> 0101)
kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05:01.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 114
kernel: usbcore: registered new driver oss_usb

Also, if I run ltrace, the call fails the first time it attempts to do a read() call. I have another setup (with completely different HW) that I can run the ossrecord on and see the ltrace results which is where I see the failure.
dogbertwrldrulr

Postby igorzwx » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:54 pm

Why do you think that Delta 1010LT is supported by OSS4?
igorzwx

Postby dogbertwrldrulr » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:58 pm

We have a second computer that runs CentOS 5.4 with OSS4.2 (2003 source) and it works great. The HW for the old setup is not available anymore so we had to get something newer. In the process we also had to up our OS.

EDIT: Its also got a driver file built into the sources. @/kernel/drv/oss_envy24/envy24_1010lt.c
dogbertwrldrulr

Postby cesium » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:03 pm

The envy24 driver doesn't install vmix by default (unlike nearly all other drivers...), so /dev/dsp probably isn't duplexed (ossinfo -v3 output would have been helpful in verifying this). Try recording from one of the /dev/oss/oss_envy240/pcmin* nodes.
cesium
Developer

Postby dogbertwrldrulr » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Attached is the output of ossinfo -v3. I attempted to record using the /dev/oss/oss_envy24/pcmin0 device with the same error.
Attachments
ossinfoV3.txt
(23.83 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
dogbertwrldrulr

Postby igorzwx » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:24 pm

dogbertwrldrulr wrote:Attached is the output of ossinfo -v3. I attempted to record using the /dev/oss/oss_envy24/pcmin0 device with the same error.

It is said to be for INPUT:

Code: Select all
M Audio Delta 1010LT in1          /dev/oss/oss_envy240/pcmin0  (device index 0)
    Legacy device /dev/dsp0
    Caps: TRIGGER
    Modes: INPUT 

Have you tried it for "output"? And other way round: "output" for "input"?
igorzwx

Postby dogbertwrldrulr » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:48 pm

I dont think that I can switch the mode. The devices are setup during the driver install. I typically try to record with the /dev/dsp# (we have to support older systems so we use the legacy links). The only thing I am aware that I can do is to swap if the inputs come before the outputs (in oss_envy24.conf), but that only changes the /dev/dsp# links, not the /dev/oss/oss_envy24/ devices.

Are you aware of a way to do this?
dogbertwrldrulr

Postby igorzwx » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:55 pm

dogbertwrldrulr wrote:I dont think that I can switch the mode. The devices are setup during the driver install. I typically try to record with the /dev/dsp# (we have to support older systems so we use the legacy links). The only thing I am aware that I can do is to swap if the inputs come before the outputs (in oss_envy24.conf), but that only changes the /dev/dsp# links, not the /dev/oss/oss_envy24/ devices.

Are you aware of a way to do this?

Could you please clarify some points?
You told that the HW is different, but the soundcard is the same. Right?
Does output work?
Was it a clean re-install?
If the same soundcard works on another computer with OSS4 and the same system, it might be a task for you to fix the problem.
igorzwx

Postby dogbertwrldrulr » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:00 pm

The sounds cards are the same in both configurations. In the first one, we have all 8 outputs hooked up and 2 inputs. All 10 of those work correctly. The install on the second configuration was a clean install.

I know I am going to have to fix this, but I have no idea what the "Input/output error" is. Its not descriptive and everything I can find says that the card should work, but when it comes time to actually do anything, nothing happens. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what causes an Input/Output error like this.

EDIT: Does it help any to mention that when I try to run ossrecord that if I put in the -v switch, I get the message: "oss_envy24: Input timed out."?
dogbertwrldrulr

Postby igorzwx » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:10 pm

dogbertwrldrulr wrote:The install on the second configuration was a clean install.

Why do you think so?

dogbertwrldrulr wrote:I know I am going to have to fix this, but I have no idea what the "Input/output error" is.

If I am not mistaken such errors may happen with Audacity, if you have ALSA configs.

Does output work with that "problematic" card?
Does "osstest" play music?
igorzwx

Postby dogbertwrldrulr » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:15 pm

Im not sure what ALSO configs are, but I can check if you can point me in the general direction.

I only have inputs hooked up to the card at the moment, but if I try to use ossplay, no matter the length of the wav file I play, it returns immediately.

From my original post:
Also, if I run osstest, it skips all of the inputs and gives me "<left> OK <right> Device returned error: Input/output error
dogbertwrldrulr

Postby igorzwx » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:22 pm

dogbertwrldrulr wrote:Im not sure what ALSO configs are, but I can check if you can point me in the general direction.

I only have inputs hooked up to the card at the moment, but if I try to use ossplay, no matter the length of the wav file I play, it returns immediately.

From my original post:
Also, if I run osstest, it skips all of the inputs and gives me "<left> OK <right> Device returned error: Input/output error

ALSA configs are certain "invisible" files in your home folder (or somewhere in /etc ).

Plug in a kind of headphones (or else) and run "osstest".
And post the output of osstest.
And of "ossplay -vvvv"

dogbertwrldrulr wrote:if I run osstest, it skips all of the inputs and gives me "<left> OK <right> Device returned error: Input/output error

The input devices should be skipped. It is OK.
But if the errors are reported for output, it is not OK.
It seems that nothing works. Right?
Both playback and recording do not work with your "clean install". Right?
But the same soundcard works with OSS4 on another computer. Right?
igorzwx

Postby cesium » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:50 pm

Maybe this is silly.. But do the symlinks to /dev/dsp* actually exist? Try running 'sudo ossdetect -d -v' followed by 'sudo ossdevlinks -v -r' to recreate all the symlinks. Also, try recording from the other pcmin*. and try comparing the ossmix output with the one from the old computer.
cesium
Developer

Next

Return to Linux