No sound from apps, but ossxmix shows activity

OSS specific Solaris discussion (x86/SPARC)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium, kodachi

No sound from apps, but ossxmix shows activity

Postby binarycrusader » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:19 am

I just installed the latest OSS driver release on Solaris Express Community Release b55. I noticed that when I use osstest, I can hear sound just fine.

(Audigy 2 by the way)

However, when I play sound in flash from a web browser, or other applications, I hear no sound.

If I open ossxmix while one of the applications is running that I expect to have sound, I can see the visual meter for /dev/mixer_ap going up and down, but I can't hear anything.

I've tried adjusting all the sliders and can't figure out why I still have no sound.

Anyone had this issue or know what might be wrong?
binarycrusader

Re: No sound from apps, but ossxmix shows activity

Postby dev » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:57 pm

binarycrusader wrote:I just installed the latest OSS driver release on Solaris Express Community Release b55. I noticed that when I use osstest, I can hear sound just fine.

(Audigy 2 by the way)

However, when I play sound in flash from a web browser, or other applications, I hear no sound.

If I open ossxmix while one of the applications is running that I expect to have sound, I can see the visual meter for /dev/mixer_ap going up and down, but I can't hear anything.

I've tried adjusting all the sliders and can't figure out why I still have no sound.

Hi,

If you run osstest and get audio then it means audio works you just have to log out and log back in. You also need to unmute the gnome volume mixer (press right mouse button and then select Unmute).

best regards
Dev Mazumdar
dev
Developer

Postby dev » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:11 pm

binarycrusader wrote:I just installed the latest OSS driver release on Solaris Express Community Release b55. I noticed that when I use osstest, I can hear sound just fine.

(Audigy 2 by the way)

Hi,

OK I've verified that this is a problem with the Sun audio emulation. Oddly it only affects SBLive - i've verified that SAE works fine on HDAudio and other devices.

We're working on fixing this issue. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

best regards
Dev Mazumdar
dev
Developer

Postby binarycrusader » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:16 am

dev wrote:Hi,

OK I've verified that this is a problem with the Sun audio emulation. Oddly it only affects SBLive - i've verified that SAE works fine on HDAudio and other devices.

We're working on fixing this issue. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

best regards
Dev Mazumdar

Thanks Dev. I did check my gnome volume and other things, everything was setup correctly, so this seems like the likely problem. What is SAE by the way? I'm using an Audigy 2.

-Shawn
binarycrusader

Postby dev » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:10 am

Hi,

We have found a workaround: edit /platform/i86pc/kernel/drv/ossaudios.conf and change the ossaudios_openmode to 0 (currently it is at 3). Reboot and now audio will work fine.

We're working on the proper solution now.

regards
Dev Mazumdar
dev
Developer

This effects Solaris 10 on Sparc also Audigy 4

Postby deansalv » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:44 am

I installed an Audigy 4 in my E-450 and it also would not play sounds like above until I edited the file as you suggested.

Just thought you should know.
deansalv

Return to Solaris