High Pitched Squeal

OSS specific Solaris discussion (x86/SPARC)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium, kodachi

High Pitched Squeal

Postby kaiwai » Thu May 01, 2008 3:13 am

Hi,

I've got a Thinkpad T61p, I followed the instructions off the opensolaris discussion group, however, the problem is that when I reboot the saved mixer settings aren't loaded, and thus the squealing returns. Is there a way for the settings to actually be properly saved so that they are retrieved when one reboots?
kaiwai

Postby dev » Thu May 01, 2008 3:29 am

ossxmix and mute the mic

then run savemixer
dev

Postby kaiwai » Thu May 01, 2008 9:07 am

dev wrote:ossxmix and mute the mic

then run savemixer

it doesn't work. I open it up, mute it, the squeal stops, I do the savemixer, then I reboot. On reboot the squealing starts again. I've rebooted a total of three times and it keeps happening.
kaiwai

Postby dev » Thu May 01, 2008 4:24 pm

kaiwai wrote:

then run savemixer

it doesn't work. I open it up, mute it, the squeal stops, I do the savemixer, then I reboot. On reboot the squealing starts again. I've rebooted a total of three times and it keeps happening.

what version of OSS do you have?. You need to type savemixer as root.
because it needs to write a file called /etc/oss/mixer.save

regards
Dev Mazumdar
dev

Postby kaiwai » Thu May 01, 2008 4:58 pm

dev wrote:
kaiwai wrote:

then run savemixer

regards
Dev Mazumdar

I have the latest build, and yes, it is saved in root. The problem is that on reboot it isn't reading the saved file - because when I open the mixer, what should be muted - isn't muted.
kaiwai

Postby dev » Thu May 01, 2008 5:19 pm

kaiwai wrote:
dev wrote:
kaiwai wrote:

then run savemixer

regards
Dev Mazumdar

I have the latest build, and yes, it is saved in root. The problem is that on reboot it isn't reading the saved file - because when I open the mixer, what should be muted - isn't muted.

Hmm.....there should be /etc/init.d/oss and the start up has savemixer -L /etc/oss/mixer.save or somthing - can you see if it's working manually?

[edited by cesium to fix quoting]
dev

Postby kaiwai » Fri May 02, 2008 1:50 am

dev wrote:
kaiwai wrote:
dev wrote:
kaiwai wrote:

then run savemixer

regards
Dev Mazumdar

Hmm.....there should be /etc/init.d/oss and the start up has savemixer -L /etc/oss/mixer.save or somthing - can you see if it's working manually?

[edited by cesium to fix quoting]

I've just had a look in the directory - the file isn't even I there. This is definitely OSS 4.0 build 1015 - I've trying to work out then how it is actually loading if there isn't a boot script.

When I installed the package, I installed everything - why hasn't it been installed?
kaiwai

Postby kaiwai » Fri May 02, 2008 6:20 am

Ok, for some strange reason, I bought a USB webcam, which includes a build in microphone - the sound card no longer squeals, but I'm trying to find out what is the device node which Adobe uses for Flash - so that I can create a link between the USB webcam's microphone and the device node.

PS. No, still problems. Dear God, what the heck is wrong with this damn thing. All I want is my audio to work without squeaking, and my microphone to work with Youtube; is that *really* too much to ask for?
kaiwai

Postby kaiwai » Fri May 02, 2008 7:21 am

OK, what I want to do is this; I want opensound to ONLY provide play back capabilities; I don't want anything else supported. For my webcam and USB mic (in the cam itself) I want the operating system drivers (which work with YouTube). Can I set OpenSound up to do that?
kaiwai

Postby kaiwai » Fri May 02, 2008 11:47 pm

Hello?! anyone here?!
kaiwai

Postby cesium » Fri May 02, 2008 11:52 pm

I think you can edit /etc/oss/installed_drivers and remove "ossusb" line to get rid of ossusb. (OSS restart required / or remove ossusb module (don't know how on Solaris)).
cesium

Postby kaiwai » Sat May 03, 2008 12:14 am

cesium wrote:I think you can edit /etc/oss/installed_drivers and remove "ossusb" line to get rid of ossusb. (OSS restart required / or remove ossusb module (don't know how on Solaris)).

Yeah, got rid of the ossusb module, plus reverse the removal of the usb things from device_aliases. Hopefully it'll work *fingers crossed*
kaiwai

Postby kaiwai » Sat May 03, 2008 12:49 am

kaiwai wrote:
cesium wrote:I think you can edit /etc/oss/installed_drivers and remove "ossusb" line to get rid of ossusb. (OSS restart required / or remove ossusb module (don't know how on Solaris)).

Yeah, got rid of the ossusb module, plus reverse the removal of the usb things from device_aliases. Hopefully it'll work *fingers crossed*

Nope, didn't work. Damn, all I want is for the squeaking to stop and my mic to work. Is that *really* too much to ask - honestly?
kaiwai

Postby dev » Sat May 03, 2008 5:27 pm

kaiwai wrote:
kaiwai wrote:

Nope, didn't work. Damn, all I want is for the squeaking to stop and my mic to work. Is that *really* too much to ask - honestly?

Hi,

Copy this script to: /etc/init.d/oss
http://mercurial.opensound.com/?file/31 ... nOS/S89oss

and do chmod +x /etc/init.d/oss

regards
dev Mazumdar
dev

Postby kaiwai » Sun May 04, 2008 5:09 am

dev wrote:
kaiwai wrote:
kaiwai wrote:

Hi,

Copy this script to: /etc/init.d/oss
http://mercurial.opensound.com/?file/31 ... nOS/S89oss

and do chmod +x /etc/init.d/oss

regards
dev Mazumdar

Ok, I'm going to check that out tonight, I'm sure it'll work. How do I point Flash to the microphone I want to use? my web has a microphone, and when I did a clean install of Solaris, the microphone and webcam were both detected by Sun's native drivers, however, as soon as I installed OpenSound, everything went up the shoot.

Basically, I want to keep the USB Microphone and webcam using the native drivers, and I want the Microphone to be the one provided by the webcam - the problem is that the internal mic on my laptop isn't working, and when oss does install, it forces the system to use the internal one.

Basically, in a nutshell, I would like OpenSound just to provide playback, and nothing more than that. For the microphone, I'll use the one included in the webcam (which does work).

Is it possible to do that?
kaiwai

Next

Return to Solaris