Driver fails to attach ...

OSS specific Solaris discussion (x86/SPARC)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

Driver fails to attach ...

Postby roman_austria » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi,

on SXCE b103 I have the problem that OSS cannot install
properly. The OSS version is 'oss-solaris-v4.1-1050-i386.pkg'.
It is built from the current mercurial repository.

Before b101 OSS always worked when I built it with the sources
from the mercurial repository. OSS was my last resort, because
the Solaris driver for audiohd didn't work. But since b101 the Solaris
driver works and OSS fails.

The reason is that the driver fails to attach.

Greetings
Roman
roman_austria
Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:27 pm

Re: Driver fails to attach ...

Postby dev » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:46 am

roman_austria wrote:Hi,

on SXCE b103 I have the problem that OSS cannot install
properly. The OSS version is 'oss-solaris-v4.1-1050-i386.pkg'.
It is built from the current mercurial repository.

Before b101 OSS always worked when I built it with the sources
from the mercurial repository. OSS was my last resort, because
the Solaris driver for audiohd didn't work. But since b101 the Solaris
driver works and OSS fails.

The reason is that the driver fails to attach.

Greetings
Roman


Hi,

If you have OSS b1016 then you need to remove that and reboot and then install build 1050.


The driver names and bindings have changed and that is the reason you need to pkgrm oss and reboot before installing 1050.


The other thing you can try is reboot and then run ossdetect.



regards
Dev
dev
Developer
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Culver City, CA

Re: Driver fails to attach ...

Postby roman_austria » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:10 pm

dev wrote:
Hi,

If you have OSS b1016 then you need to remove that and reboot and then install build 1050.


The driver names and bindings have changed and that is the reason you need to pkgrm oss and reboot before installing 1050.


The other thing you can try is reboot and then run ossdetect.



regards
Dev


Hi Dev,

ossdetect isn't available on the system. After pkgrm oss I rebooted with init 6, and then installed the package again. But with the same result. My guess is that oss-hdaudio is bound to a different pci-adress than oss-hdaudio used when oss-pkg has been installed. When I utter 'scanpci' I get the following for the audio:

Code: Select all
pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x14 function 0x02: vendor 0x1002 device 0x437b
ATI Technologies Inc SB450 HDA Audio



When I look for the output of:

Code: Select all
# prtconf -D | grep audio
        pci30b0,103c, instance #0 (driver name: oss_hdaudio)



The output of ossinfo is:

Code: Select all
bash-3.2$ ossinfo
Version info: OSS 4.1 (b 1050/200812072102) (0x00040100)
Hg revision: changeset: 539:7fd89606af0d summary: Added tag v4.1-b1050 for changeset b1100149900d, tag: tip summary: Added tag v4.1-b1050 for changeset b1100149900d, date: Sat Dec 06 15:06:01 2008 +0200, summary: Added tag v4.1-b1050 for changeset b1100149900d
Platform: SunOS/i86pc 5.11 snv_103 (solar-star)

Number of audio devices:   4
Number of audio engines:   8
Number of mixer devices:   1


Device objects
0: oss_hdaudio0 ATI HD Audio interrupts=653 (10122)
    HD Audio controller ATI HD Audio
    Vendor ID    0x1002437b
    Subvendor ID 0x30b0103c
     Codec  0: AD1981 (0x11d41981/0x103c30b0)
     Codec  1: Conexant2bfa (0x14f12bfa)
1: osscore0 OSS common devices
2: oss_usb0 USB audio/MIDI device
3: oss_sadasupport SADA compatibility layer


Mixer devices
0: (High Definition Audio AD1981 )(Mixer 0 of device object 0)

Audio devices
(HD Audio play play                /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcm0 ) (device index 0)
(HD Audio play <null>       /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcm1 ) (device index 1)
(HD Audio play modem-out           /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcm2 ) (device index 2)
(HD Audio rec modem-out            /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcmin0 ) (device index 3)



Maybe I have to update the driver to use 'pci30b0,103c' instead of 'pci1002,437b'?

Greetings
Roman
roman_austria
Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:27 pm

Re: Driver fails to attach ...

Postby roman_austria » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi Dev,

after update_drv to add another alias to oss_hdaudio

Code: Select all
update_drv -a -i '"pci30b0,103c"'


ossxmix showed up which didn't work before. osstest worked with errors. The only thing left is that GNOME doesn't recognize the mixer device. Could you please assist me to get that work too?

Greetings
Roman
roman_austria
Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:27 pm

Postby seawright » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:44 am

I assume that the gnome-volume-control in Solaris is similar to Linux in that it uses gstreamer.
If this is the case check whether with gstreamer plugins bad installed that a libgstoss4audio library file exists.
If not then you may need to update to a newer version of gstreamer.
regards
Clive
seawright
Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:10 pm
Location: Hampshire UK

Postby roman_austria » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:59 am

seawright wrote:I assume that the gnome-volume-control in Solaris is similar to Linux in that it uses gstreamer.
If this is the case check whether with gstreamer plugins bad installed that a libgstoss4audio library file exists.
If not then you may need to update to a newer version of gstreamer.


You are right. Solaris uses the GStreamer. I built the oss4 and copied the generated files into /usr/lib. Now there is a libgstoss4audio.so in this directory, but it doesn't work. Do I have to compile the whole GStreamer bad packages?

Roman
roman_austria
Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:27 pm

Postby cesium » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:51 pm

I think you should try running ldconfig (or the Solaris equivalent) first. Does "gst-inspect oss4" find the oss4 plugin?
cesium
Developer
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:51 am

Postby h3sp4wn » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:56 pm

Solaris doesn't need ldconfig.

There is crle has some of the functions of ld.so.conf (and more)

If you wanted gstreamer plugins in /usr/local you would have to use crle. (I wouldn't recommend it though)
h3sp4wn
New Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:12 pm

Re: Driver fails to attach ...

Postby roman_austria » Wed May 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Hi,

it has been a long time since the last install, but I encounter still the same error. By now I am using b112. And the error is again: Failed to attach the driver.

This time I downloaded the package and did not built it myself. OSS version 4.1 Build 1052.

-Roman
roman_austria
Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:27 pm


Return to Solaris

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron