uninstall problem in os200811 (because doesn't work)

OSS specific Solaris discussion (x86/SPARC)

Moderators: hannu, dev, kodachi, cesium

uninstall problem in os200811 (because doesn't work)

Postby m23 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:25 pm

hello all,
when i try to de-install oss:
henry@delljm:~$ pfexec pkgrm oss

The following package is currently installed:
oss Open Sound System
(i386) v4.1-1051

Do you want to remove this package? [y,n,?,q] y

## Removing installed package instance <oss>
...
## Executing postremove script.
SUNWaudd
sh: line 1: /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWaudd/save/pspool/SUNWaudd/install/postinstall: not found
SUNWvia823x
sh: line 1: /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWvia823x/save/pspool/SUNWvia823x/install/postinstall: not found
SUNWaudiohd
sh: line 1: /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWaudiohd/save/pspool/SUNWaudiohd/install/postinstall: not found
SUNWad810
sh: line 1: /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWad810/save/pspool/SUNWad810/install/postinstall: not found
SUNWadixp
sh: line 1: /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWadixp/save/pspool/SUNWadixp/install/postinstall: not found
SUNWusb
sh: line 1: /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWusb/save/pspool/SUNWusb/install/postinstall: not found
## Updating system information.

Removal of <oss> was successful.

why it does need to launch postinstall of this differents packages? Does it mean that oss installation has corrupted my system?

Second point: unable to get sound
- it lacks /dev/dsp
- after using ossmix, audio becomes unavalaible:
henry@delljm:~$ ossmix vol 50
Value of mixer control vol set to 50.0:50.0
henry@delljm:~$ osstest
Sound subsystem and version: OSS 4.1 (b 1051/200812302228) (0x00040100)
Platform: SunOS/i86pc 5.11 snv_101b

*** Scanning sound adapter #-1 ***
/dev/oss/oss_ich0/pcm0 (audio engine 0): Intel ICH6 (266E)
- Performing audio playback test... /dev/oss/oss_ich0/pcm0: Device busy
Can't open the device

*** Some errors were detected during the tests ***

if i launch: ossdetect -v, osstest works again!

hth,

gerard
m23
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:19 pm

oss is not opensolaris compatible, it is Solaris compat...

Postby zolyfarkas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:45 pm

what the uninstall is trying to do is to reattach the original solaris audio by executing the postinstall scripts of those packages.
however in opensolaris those packages are installed via IPS.
you can go with the package manager (ipkg) and uninstall/install those packages to obtain a similar effect.

the solaris oss package is also unaware of the -R option of pkgrm.

in my case for example by installing oss, i ended up with a unbootable system and removing oss with pkgrm -R /a oss gives a lot of error too.

This is however a bug in the oss package and affects Solaris too.
--zoly
zolyfarkas
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Re: uninstall problem in os200811 (because doesn't work)

Postby dev » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 pm

m23 wrote:hello all,
when i try to de-install oss:
henry@delljm:~$ pfexec pkgrm oss



why it does need to launch postinstall of this differents packages? Does it mean that oss installation has corrupted my system?

hth,

gerard



OSS is trying to restore the original SADA driver packages when you uninstall OSS. Obviously Sun has removed certain drivers from the base install so this is not an OSS bug and you really don't need to worry because the uninstallation script is only trying to add driver that don't exist on your system.
dev
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Culver City, CA

Re: uninstall problem in os200811 (because doesn't work)

Postby m23 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:50 pm

dev wrote:
OSS is trying to restore the original SADA driver packages when you uninstall OSS. Obviously Sun has removed certain drivers from the base install so this is not an OSS bug and you really don't need to worry because the uninstallation script is only trying to add driver that don't exist on your system.


i'm not totally agree with you, because, since i deinstalled oss pkg, i've lost audio on my system.
henry@delljm:~$ ls -l /dev/audio
ls: cannot access /dev/audio: No such file or directory
henry@delljm:~$ ls -l /dev/sound/
total 0

thanks for replies,

gerard
m23
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Re: uninstall problem in os200811 (because doesn't work)

Postby dev » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:58 pm

m23 wrote:
dev wrote:
OSS is trying to restore the original SADA driver packages when you uninstall OSS. Obviously Sun has removed certain drivers from the base install so this is not an OSS bug and you really don't need to worry because the uninstallation script is only trying to add driver that don't exist on your system.


i'm not totally agree with you, because, since i deinstalled oss pkg, i've lost audio on my system.
henry@delljm:~$ ls -l /dev/audio
ls: cannot access /dev/audio: No such file or directory
henry@delljm:~$ ls -l /dev/sound/
total 0

thanks for replies,

gerard


Well the steps that OSS does is for Solaris 11 . If you're on Open Solaris you probably need to install the driver packages becuase the steps that OSS does are just for reconfiguring the drivers - if the driver package doesn't exist there's nothing OSS can do about reinstalling non-existent drivers.


regards
Dev
dev
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Culver City, CA

Postby m23 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:37 am

here is the help from opensolaris forum:
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa ... 6&tstart=0

hope this help,

gerard
m23
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Postby h3sp4wn » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:32 pm

I could make IPS packages for OSS relatively easily. (This issue has existed since indiana was started). The issue is that to run an IPS repository you need to run the IPS daemon.

Also for OSS to work optimally with gnome its necessary to rebuild

SUNWgnome-audio / SUNWgnome-media*

And to get the oss4 gstreamer plugin then its necessary to build gst-plugins-bad.

h3sp4wn
irc://irc.freenode.org
#oss
h3sp4wn
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:12 pm


Return to Solaris

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

cron