Should OSS autostart?

OSS specific Solaris discussion (x86/SPARC)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

Should OSS autostart?

Postby sbarton » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:10 am

Installed the latest OSS on my Solaris 10 sunblade with Audigy 2 ZS card. Seems to work fine. Output levels seem a bit weak even with everything maxed out in ossxmix but works ok for what I need.

So far I need to run ossdetect and then soundon to get sound after a reboot. Should there be an init script or something in like rc3.d or do I just need to create my own? Should ossdetect need to be rerun after each reboot?

Thanks
sbarton

Postby cesium » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:54 pm

OSS should run automatically on startup. I'm not familiar with Solaris, and I suspect most others on this forum aren't either... Perhaps you'd want to ask in oss-devel?
cesium
Developer

Postby sbarton » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Ok thanks, but I would hope that the "Solaris" sub-forum would be a better place for Solaris questions :D
sbarton

Postby sbarton » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:31 pm

Crazy, I rebooted for the 4th time and now it starts automatically. Still don't see the rc script but it works now :)
sbarton

Postby sbarton » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Ok, further with this. It seems after a fresh reboot, when I login to the desktop, the JDS does not see any audio devices. That is, the speaker Icon has a red line through it and when you mouse over it, it says "No audio device".

Then I fire up xmms and try to play a sound - it give a similar message about no audio device.

Then I close xmms and reopen it and it plays fine.

Then if I log out of JDS and back in, the audio device is found.

So I'm still not sure whats going on with the startup process.
sbarton

Postby dev » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:03 pm

The problem is being fixed up in OSS 4.2 - get the mercurial code and rebuild the drivers from source.
dev
Developer

Re: Should OSS autostart?

Postby rasta » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:38 pm

cesium's reply above stating that no one who uses the Solaris sub-forum knows anything about Solaris, including presumably 4front personnel, is very disconcerting, disappointing, and just plain maddening. 4front offers Solaris sound drivers (v4.2) that do not work well with Solaris, and no support for or knowledge of Solaris is available? Uh-oh.
rasta

Postby cesium » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:30 pm

I suggested posting in the developer's mailing list since I thought 4front personnel's level of knowledge is higher than of posters here. It's just that Solaris is different from Linux/BSD and this OS forum has no regulars to help users...
cesium
Developer

Postby rasta » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:42 pm

Should we post Solaris-related oss questions to the developer's mailing list. or here? I assumed that oss developers and support people would answer such questions posted here, not just users.
rasta

Return to Solaris