Crash on Solaris 10 Sparc

OSS specific Solaris discussion (x86/SPARC)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

Crash on Solaris 10 Sparc

Postby R0M » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:14 pm

Hello,
I just downloaded the latest Sparc drivers and I want to use my CM8738 soundcard. After installing the driver the system crashes with a kernel panic however the driver works fine on Solaris x86 with the same sound card, please let me know if there is a fix,

> ::status
debugging crash dump vmcore.9 (64-bit) from unknown
operating system: 5.10 Generic_118822-25 (sun4u)
panic message: BAD TRAP: type=34 rp=2a100d113d0 addr=29ec5cb5092 mmu_fsr=0
dump content: kernel pages only
> ::stack
i_ddi_get32+4(60004a3e540, 29ec5cb5092, 100000, 464, 1000, 1000)
setup_play+0x2b8(0, 2, 10, 600016d4908, 60004a68df8, 60004a68d88)
cmpci_audio_prepare_for_output+0xe0(0, 800, 10, 186a0, 60004a68df8, 60004a68d88
)
prepare_output+0x2f4(60001648f88, 600016d4908, 38ac22d5, 0, c40b7, 2ee00)
oss_audio_write+0x1e0(0, 70134fac, 2a100d11a98, 14a0e0, 60001648f88, 600016d4908
)
oss_write+0xb0(5, 2a100d11a98, 14a0e0, 60004a6fc48, 34, 7bac4180)
write+0x268(5, 8058, 600048ff770, 14a0e0, 2, 1)
syscall_trap32+0xcc(5, 2a9598, 14a0e0, 0, 0, 0)

System: Sunblade 2500 with Solaris 10 U1 Sparc OS

Regards,
R0M
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:10 pm

Re: Crash on Solaris 10 Sparc

Postby dev » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:13 pm

R0M wrote:Hello,
I just downloaded the latest Sparc drivers and I want to use my CM8738 soundcard. After installing the driver the system crashes with a kernel panic however the driver works fine on Solaris x86 with the same sound card, please let me know if there is a fix,

> ::status
debugging crash dump vmcore.9 (64-bit) from unknown
operating system: 5.10 Generic_118822-25 (sun4u)
panic message: BAD TRAP: type=34 rp=2a100d113d0 addr=29ec5cb5092 mmu_fsr=0
dump content: kernel pages only
> ::stack
i_ddi_get32+4(60004a3e540, 29ec5cb5092, 100000, 464, 1000, 1000)
setup_play+0x2b8(0, 2, 10, 600016d4908, 60004a68df8, 60004a68d88)
cmpci_audio_prepare_for_output+0xe0(0, 800, 10, 186a0, 60004a68df8, 60004a68d88
)
prepare_output+0x2f4(60001648f88, 600016d4908, 38ac22d5, 0, c40b7, 2ee00)
oss_audio_write+0x1e0(0, 70134fac, 2a100d11a98, 14a0e0, 60001648f88, 600016d4908
)
oss_write+0xb0(5, 2a100d11a98, 14a0e0, 60004a6fc48, 34, 7bac4180)
write+0x268(5, 8058, 600048ff770, 14a0e0, 2, 1)
syscall_trap32+0xcc(5, 2a9598, 14a0e0, 0, 0, 0)

System: Sunblade 2500 with Solaris 10 U1 Sparc OS

Regards,



OK we'll test it out to see what might be the problem.

Can you tell me what applcation you were using?


regards
Dev Mazumdar
dev
Developer
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Culver City, CA

Postby R0M » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:14 pm

Sure it's "osstest"

Regards,
R0M
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:10 pm

Postby R0M » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:58 pm

Any luck on the issue?

Thanks,
R0M
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:10 pm

Postby dev » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:56 pm

R0M wrote:Any luck on the issue?

Thanks,



We've uploaded OSS build 155 at http://www.opensound.com/test
Download it and see if this work.

But I suspect that the CMPCI hardware itself is incompatible with SParc PCI bus. We are seeing some issues with the CMedia device on our SunBlade but not on our UltraSparc20 machine.

You are better off with a Sound Blaster Audigy2

best regards
Dev
dev
Developer
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Culver City, CA

Postby R0M » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:30 pm

dev wrote:
R0M wrote:Any luck on the issue?

Thanks,



We've uploaded OSS build 155 at http://www.opensound.com/test
Download it and see if this work.

But I suspect that the CMPCI hardware itself is incompatible with SParc PCI bus. We are seeing some issues with the CMedia device on our SunBlade but not on our UltraSparc20 machine.

You are better off with a Sound Blaster Audigy2

best regards


Same problem, maybe i should contact Sun to patch their PCI bus instead, or do you think the problem could be fixed in the future?

R0M
R0M
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:10 pm

Postby dev » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:40 pm

R0M wrote:
dev wrote:
R0M wrote:Any luck on the issue?

Thanks,



We've uploaded OSS build 155 at http://www.opensound.com/test
Download it and see if this work.

But I suspect that the CMPCI hardware itself is incompatible with SParc PCI bus. We are seeing some issues with the CMedia device on our SunBlade but not on our UltraSparc20 machine.

You are better off with a Sound Blaster Audigy2

best regards


Same problem, maybe i should contact Sun to patch their PCI bus instead, or do you think the problem could be fixed in the future?

R0M



The problem is that the CMPCI is a rather non-standard PCI implementation. Sparc has very low tolerance for deviations while PCs generally have high tolerance for deviations from spec.

You can contact Sun but I doubt if they'll do anything. It's best you got a SB Audigy2 or MAudio REvolution 7.1.


regards
Dev Mazumdar
dev
Developer
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Culver City, CA


Return to Solaris

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest