Realtek?

OSS specific BSD discussion (FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

Realtek?

Postby justakiwi » Mon May 07, 2007 6:43 am

I have a new Acer Travelmate 4201AWLMi laptop which is running DesktopBSD. I was under the impression when I bought it that it had Intel High Definition Audio so I installed the OSS driver for BSD. It wouldn't work no matter what I did so I eventually uninstalled it.

I've since found that the sound system is not in fact Intel, but Realtek HDA (that's the only info I can find) - which is apparently not supported. I can't see any mention of Realtek in the list of supported soundcards/systems.

Has anyone any suggestion as to what I can possibly do to get sound working? I have sound for audio CDs and for things like Flash online, but no system sounds. I've tried some other drivers recommended by someone at the DBSD forums but those don't work either.

I've been tearing my hair out for weeks trying to resolve this and I'm about to bite the bullet and go back to Linux in the hope that it will be more compatible, but I figured there was no harm in asking here first just in case someone here has resolved a similar problem.

TIA for any help anyone can give me.
justakiwi

Return to BSD