Good sound, but no volume, no mixer

OSS specific BSD discussion (FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

Good sound, but no volume, no mixer

Postby txlogic » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:06 pm

Howdy,

My newly purchased OSS driver delivers very nice sound with my Soundblaster Live! card under FreeBSD 5.3, but I have no volume or mixer control under X. This happens regardless of whether I use a generic window manager like indowmaker or KDE, with or without the ARTS sound system being enabled.

Suggestions appreciated.
txlogic

Re: Good sound, but no volume, no mixer

Postby dev » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:21 am

txlogic wrote:Howdy,

My newly purchased OSS driver delivers very nice sound with my Soundblaster Live! card under FreeBSD 5.3, but I have no volume or mixer control under X. This happens regardless of whether I use a generic window manager like indowmaker or KDE, with or without the ARTS sound system being enabled.

Suggestions appreciated.

What about using ossxmix?

regards
Dev Mazumdar
dev
Developer

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:12 am

dev wrote:

Suggestions appreciated.

regards
Dev Mazumdar

One of the first things I tried. No go.

Thanks for your time.

TXLogic

Postby dev » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:26 am

Anonymous wrote:
dev wrote:

Suggestions appreciated.

regards
Dev Mazumdar

Thanks for your time.

TXLogic

What's the error from running ossxmix?

Regards
Dev Mazumdar
dev
Developer

Postby txlogic » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:24 am

dev wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
dev wrote:

Suggestions appreciated.

regards
Dev Mazumdar

Thanks for your time.

TXLogic

Regards
Dev Mazumdar

No error, it just doesn't do anything. The volume and mixer sliders move up and down just fine, they just have no effect whatever on the sound. Only thing that does is the volume knob on the speakers.

TXLogic
txlogic

Postby dev » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:40 am

txlogic wrote:
dev wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
dev wrote:

Suggestions appreciated.

regards
Dev Mazumdar

Thanks for your time.

TXLogic

Regards
Dev Mazumdar

No error, it just doesn't do anything. The volume and mixer sliders move up and down just fine, they just have no effect whatever on the sound. Only thing that does is the volume knob on the speakers.

TXLogic

That's because you have a CMI97xx AC97 device that doesn't handle volume correctly.
The only way to do audio and control the volume is to symlink /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp3 (the first virtual mixer device) and then use ossxmix -d1 and control the volume that way.

regards
Dev
dev
Developer

Postby txlogic » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:12 am

dev wrote:
txlogic wrote:
dev wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
dev wrote:

Suggestions appreciated.

regards
Dev Mazumdar

Thanks for your time.

TXLogic

Regards
Dev Mazumdar

TXLogic

That's because you have a CMI97xx AC97 device that doesn't handle volume correctly.
The only way to do audio and control the volume is to symlink /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp3 (the first virtual mixer device) and then use ossxmix -d1 and control the volume that way.

regards
Dev

Damn I knew that CMI97xx AC97 device looked like trouble! :wink: Thanks, that works (though I had to symlink dsp to dsp4, not dsp3). And I can control the volume with xmms (though ossxmis works as well).

TXLogic
txlogic

Return to BSD