Is there a soundcard runing with OSS?

OSS specific BSD discussion (FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium, kodachi

Is there a soundcard runing with OSS?

Postby anxa » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:39 pm

I have FreeBSD5.3, and OSS freezes my system after a few minutes.
Does someone know if a soundcard can be used with (or without) OSS and with FreeBSD.
A good soundcard, not Soundblaster.
RME? Hoontech?
Thanks for your advices.
anxa

Postby gert cuykens » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:11 pm

i have freebsd 5.3 with a ich oss driver and it works really wel , spdif, 5.1 etc. I sugest install oss and scroll trough the add new device menu to see a list of all drivers.
gert cuykens

a driver, yes, but

Postby anxa » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:16 pm

I need a soundcard compatible.
I have a soudcard theorically compatible with OSS, but it doesn't run at all. And worse: it freezes my FreeBSD. And I hate that. A lot. So my post was a call to witness.
I see the list of drivers as an add not more. Sorry, but it's my experience.
"Best regards"
anxa
anxa

Postby gert cuykens » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:37 pm

in that case i would first post your soundcard then your oss log and figure out what is wrong because i dont think it is the driver as far as i can tell every single one of them has been tested pretty wel on any os. I could be wrong but if it was not stable they would not post it in the drivers list. oss makes drivers for a living you know : )
gert cuykens

Postby dev » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:51 am

gert cuykens wrote:in that case i would first post your soundcard then your oss log and figure out what is wrong because i dont think it is the driver as far as i can tell every single one of them has been tested pretty wel on any os. I could be wrong but if it was not stable they would not post it in the drivers list. oss makes drivers for a living you know : )

Hi,

We have made some updates to the Cmedia driver (which the other guy was using) and have posted an update. The driver was tested on our machines for 5 hours of streaming virgin radio via XMMS - no crashes (not that the earlier version crashed but some tweaks were made specifically for freebsd and so perhaps this fixes the problem - we're not sure why OSS crashed in the first place.

Once again, if OSS crashes, you can really help us by compiling the kernel with KERNEL DEBUGGING enabled and then when the system crashes, try trace or where when you get the debug prompt.

regards
Dev
dev

crash again

Postby anxa » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:52 am

New download of OSS.
And same problems.
After 2 hours the system freezes. How is it possible to code like that?
I wanted to try Linux-oss under freeBSD. But it is stupid: ALSA works!!
Bye OSS.
I won't have any problems now.
But of course, no good sound cards :-(

Perhaps, there will be one day, a project similar to open video
anxa

remove oss

Postby anxa » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:00 am

I remove oss directory, but is it the only thing todo?
anxa

Postby gert cuykens » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:47 am

there is a uninstall script
gert cuykens

Return to BSD