Quick Reco: PCI w/spdif out and good support on 7.0

OSS specific BSD discussion (FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

Quick Reco: PCI w/spdif out and good support on 7.0

Postby DerekV » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:45 pm

Looking for a recommendation for a PCI card to go into a 7.0 i386 box , must have digital out (optical or coax) and digital out must work. Primary thing is that I want no headaches, i want to put it in, and have it working with minimum fuss.
Extra credit for the following: cheap, in production (so i can order it asap and have it shipped fast), working in amd64 bsd, and/or linux (for future reuse).
Thanks in advance!

I have purchased an OSS liscense before and will do so again, even though I understand it is now open source, since it is such a good product. I recomend others consider doing the same, or contributing how they can. I am glad that the development has continued in the face of the Antiportability Linux Sound Architecture. Wish it supported usb and/or fw devices in bsd though.
DerekV

Postby cesium » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:27 am

Well, there's a recommended audio card thread in another forum, but none of the posts specifically says they have working spdif... Hopefully someone will reply here.
As far as USB support goes, FreeBSD is using a new (and incompatible) USB stack for 8.0, so creating a USB driver for 7.0 series isn't that useful in the long run... However, the 4.1 versions in the source repository have better support for FreeBSD - Device cloning for vmix (so every program can use /dev/dsp on FreeBSD rather than have to be set up to use a separate /dev/dspN for each)**, module parameters are now supported via the .conf files, and other enhancements. Basically it has been brought up to speed with the other platforms.

** Requires _FreeBSD_version >= 700111. PCBSD 7 and FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE would be fine.
cesium
Developer

Postby DerekV » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:35 am

Thanks for the reply. Actually I have tried out the source from merciurial already so I have that option ready to go, and can update easily.
--
Yes actually it looks like one does mentions spdif that is refered to by the recomended audio cards. (second link).
http://4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2737
http://4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2533
DerekV

Postby cesium » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:43 am

Well, they said that they wanted spdif (same deal with this too), not that it neccesarily works... I wanted to be really sure before recommending something.
cesium
Developer

Postby DerekV » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:13 am

Yes I see that. It would be nice if someone said explicitly. Especially since the audiotrak is about $75
DerekV

Postby cesium » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:45 am

This guy has working spdif using ESI Juli@.
cesium
Developer

Return to BSD