Solaris 10 (SPARC) with Game Theatre XP problems...

OSS specific Solaris discussion (x86/SPARC)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

Solaris 10 (SPARC) with Game Theatre XP problems...

Postby geekmasterflash » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:29 am

Hello, I am brand new to both unix and solaris and I thought I would give them a whirl. I bought a Game Theatre XP sound card when I saw that the OSS supported it on Solaris. I am still new to solaris so this problem might be user error...

I have 2 sound cards on my SunBlade 2500. One is PCI the other is AGP(?) the AGP is the sound card which came with the machine. I tried to remove it but it caused many errors so I decided to leave it in figuring I could just specify which card to use.

After booting up the first time, all of my sound was defaulting to the internal speaker. Learning that I needed to use /usr/dt/bin/sdtaudiocontrol I was able to switch it to use a sound card... problem being it only uses the sound card which came with the machine.

Figuring that it Solaris 10 did not come with OSS support out of the box I came to this site to grab it. It installed just fine, however when I ran osstest it crapped out and said that it could not find a card it recognized. I checked and the Hercules card is supported. I am thinking that perhaps it is also only looking at the other card for some reason? Is there any way to fix this? Bare with me please, as I am very new to all this.
geekmasterflash

Postby geekmasterflash » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:42 pm

Oi, I tried again after doing a touch /reconfigure and moving the soundcard to a different pci interface. Now oss works but it is using the onboard speaker! :(
geekmasterflash

Postby seawright » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:55 am

Rather than remove the unwanted sound card can you not just disable it in the BIOS?
regards
Clive
seawright

Postby cesium » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:40 am

Does "osstest" make sound via the Game Theatre XP? If so, see http://www.opensound.com/wiki/index.php ... und_output on how to make it the default output.
cesium
Developer

Postby h3sp4wn » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:47 pm

seawright wrote:Rather than remove the unwanted sound card can you not just disable it in the BIOS?

There is no BIOS on sparc

Only Openboot (Sun's Open Firmware implementation).

(And its maintained more and more badly after Sun got rid of the developers who understood it properly a few years ago - zfs boot being a binary in the boot block not an open firmware driver for example)
h3sp4wn

Return to Solaris