5.1 audio output under solaris ?

OSS specific Solaris discussion (x86/SPARC)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

5.1 audio output under solaris ?

Postby Willits » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:30 pm

I've got a Realtek ALC 650 (AC'97 soundcard), with 5.1 audio output (I've got 5 jack output), I want to know if the OSS driver of 4 front technologies support the 5.1 output, and if yes, how configure it.

I'm under Sun Solaris 10.

Willits
Willits

Re: 5.1 audio output under solaris ?

Postby dev » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:56 pm

Willits wrote:I've got a Realtek ALC 650 (AC'97 soundcard), with 5.1 audio output (I've got 5 jack output), I want to know if the OSS driver of 4 front technologies support the 5.1 output, and if yes, how configure it.

I'm under Sun Solaris 10.

Willits

Sure it will support 5.1 audio - just run mplayer -ao oss -channels 6 dvd://
Before you do that, run ossctl and set the Mutlich/AC3 device as the first device in the list or you can pass /dev/dsp_mutlich to mplayer (or if you
use Xine, set /dev/dsp_mutlich in the Audio configuration panel and restart Xine.

regards
Dev
dev
Developer

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:52 pm

Ok, I've installed the OSS driver, and they work, but in ossctl, I didn't see the Mutlich/AC3,
so, I have got only 2 speaker of 6 that work.

I want that all sound (from esd, gstreamer and other) use the 5.1 output, like Alsa under linux or Windows.

Postby Willits » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:20 pm

Sorry, I done a mistake when I send the last post (the username is Guest and not Willits).

So, I want that XMMS play my media file with 5.1 audio output, and not 2.

Thanks.

Willits
Willits

Postby dev » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:56 pm

Willits wrote:Sorry, I done a mistake when I send the last post (the username is Guest and not Willits).

So, I want that XMMS play my media file with 5.1 audio output, and not 2.

Thanks.

Willits

If you're only playing stereo audio (eg mp3/ogg) you're only going to get 2 speaker output or 4 speaker (mirrored) output. Only when you play DVDs that have 5.1 channel content are you going to hear 5.1 speaker output.

In WIndows, Creative does a 2 channel to 5.1 channel conversion using CMSS and while we have that technology at 4Front - it's not implemented.

You can see http://www.oss3d/com/tech.html for information on our Surroundizer technology that will become available in OSS in the future.

best regards
Dev Mazumdar
dev
Developer

Postby Willits » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:32 pm

CMSS

When this feature will be avaiable ?

Because my 5.1 sound speakers has got 5 little speaker (10 W) and 1 bass (300 W).
So, playing my Media file without the bass is not very good.
There are no possibility for have my bass speaker work ?
Willits

Return to Solaris