audio works only in root

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

audio works only in root

Postby FunkyDung » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:33 pm

Hdaudio is only working in root (except for osstest, which works fine). KDE4 system settings>Multimedia shows HDA Nvidia grayed out while Jack Audio and ESD aren't, but they don't work either. SoundOn.log seems fine (some symlinks weren't correct, but I corrected them and now they say they're "ok") Sound stopped working after installing another kernel and oss modules to go with it (I still have previous kernel and modules).
FunkyDung

Re: audio works only in root

Postby cesium » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Does "ossplay" work not in root? If not, check the permissions in the /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/ subdir..
cesium
Developer

Postby FunkyDung » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:23 am

OK, ossplay works fine as non-root. When converting an mp3 to wav for the test, the mp3 played fine in audacity.. I tested to see if amarok worked, but it didn't. Also, thanks for the reply.
FunkyDung

Postby cesium » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Newest Amarok probably uses phonon? Configure phonon with "systemsettings" command (select Multimedia) to use OSS directly (or via Pulseaudio, after following this).
cesium
Developer

Postby FunkyDung » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Yes, I think amarok2 uses phonon. After following the guide and restarting kde, the situation remains the same. I'm guessing this isn't an oss related issue is it? I'm leaning toward phonon/kde4 being at fault. Perhaps a permission issue?

Also, while logged in as root in kde4, my systemsettings>multimedia> shows oss, alsa, and I think jack and esd. Non-root shows my soundcard (grayed-out because I didn't want to remove it) Jack and esd (which none work).
FunkyDung

Postby cesium » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:50 pm

phonon has a weird tendency to "forget" existing devices.. You can try erasing the configuration files (~/.config/kde.org/phonon/ and ~/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc ). You can also try using the gstreamer backend (if your distro offers it) instead of the Xine backend, though the Xine backend works for me...
cesium
Developer

Postby FunkyDung » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:36 pm

The deleting of the files seems to have helped. I'm missing any "audio capture" devices though. It isn't a real problem, but I do use them from time to time. If you have any suggestions for that, it'd be great. If not, thats fine also. Thanks anyway for your help.
FunkyDung

Return to Linux