Support for M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496?

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

Support for M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496?

Postby paulmer » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:38 am

Does OSS 4.2 support the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card?

The audio chipset is VIA VT1712.

I don't need to be doing all kinds of crazy mixing and such - reason I will be purchasing is to do high-quality 24/96 FLAC vinyl rips.
paulmer

Re: Support for M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496?

Postby plmegalo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:32 am

To give an advice, you'll probably get better results by pluging the phono pre-amp output directly to a digital recorder such as Tascam DR models or Olympus LS10.
It allows you to record at high quality rates and, to my sense, be surer to have the most accurate perception of what goes in to a digital conversion. And you can use them as microphone interface or any portable sound usage. Great though that will of course be more expensive than a M-Audio sound card.
Anyway, for hifi stereo recording, I'd rather invest in a dedicated material, than in any presumably high-end or X-fi computer audio-card. The simplest will most of the time be the best.
Be sure to have good cables (short if possible) and the lesser/fewer material between your Phono and the recorder : it's the better way to have good sound, even with 16Bits rate.

A link that reminds clear things about sample and bitrate :
http://www.tweakheadz.com/16_vs_24_bit_audio.htm
plmegalo

Re: Support for M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496?

Postby cesium » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:45 am

It should be supported by the oss_envy24 driver, though I can't know for sure without knowing either the pci id or the name of the model used.
cesium
Developer

Return to Linux