oss_sadasupport@0:sound missing after reboot

OSS specific Solaris discussion (x86/SPARC)

Moderators: hannu, dev, kodachi, cesium

oss_sadasupport@0:sound missing after reboot

Postby c_lam_2003 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:17 am

Hello all,

I just download and install OSS V4.2 2002 onto my Solaris 10. I use the following command to install the package (login as root)
$pfexec pkgadd -d oss-solaris-v4.2-2002-i386.pkg
it said partial fail, so I create the folder etc_templates for it and reinstall again, the package install successfully this time.

I use osstest and I can hear the sound, however, I can't use Java Media Player to play music. After surf the web I know that I need to chmod for oss_sadasupport@0:sound
$ chmod 666/devices/pseudo/oss_sadasupport@0:sound*
Then I logout and login again. This time Java Media Player is able to play music and mixer work properly.

However, after I reboot the machine, mixer and Java Media Player not work again! I find that devices/pseudo/oss_sadasupport@0:sound* are missing (but other oss_* files still there). And I need to re-install the package, logout and login again to enable the sound. Is there any way to work around this? Thanks.

Regds
LAM Chi-fung
c_lam_2003

Re: oss_sadasupport@0:sound missing after reboot

Postby dev » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi,

If you are using OSS on Solaris build 115 or later, Sadasupport will no longer work since the Boomer core doesn't support the old sada framework. OSS relies on the old SADA framework for providing Sun Audio device emulation. This should work on Solaris 10.

regards
Dev
dev

Postby rasta » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:22 pm

Dev,

He IS using Solaris 10. OSS 4.2 b2002 will not attach to Solaris 10, as myself and others have documented extensively in this forum and in the thread for the release announcement. Even the install of this oss build will fail unless a directory is manually made by the user prior to install.

Your reply is evidence that 4Front is not paying attention to Solaris, and certainly not to this forum.

I have already documented exactly the same behavior as c_lam_2003 on Solaris 10 u8 x86 in a VirtualBox guest environment on a WinXP host system.

OSS 4.2 DOES NOT WORK FOR SOLARIS 10. PLEASE FIX IT.
rasta

Postby dev » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:42 pm

rasta wrote:Dev,

He IS using Solaris 10. OSS 4.2 b2002 will not attach to Solaris 10, as myself and others have documented extensively in this forum and in the thread for the release announcement. Even the install of this oss build will fail unless a directory is manually made by the user prior to install.

Your reply is evidence that 4Front is not paying attention to Solaris, and certainly not to this forum.

I have already documented exactly the same behavior as c_lam_2003 on Solaris 10 u8 x86 in a VirtualBox guest environment on a WinXP host system.

OSS 4.2 DOES NOT WORK FOR SOLARIS 10. PLEASE FIX IT.

Hi,

Sorry about not reading the Solaris10 bit.....

We are currently busy working on porting OSS drivers to Boomer. OSS is open source and we invite others with some time to help fix OSS for Solaris 10. The problem with OSS on Solaris is that the module system seems to dynamically unload unused modules and what we need is some devfasdm support for OSS so that Solaris correctly load the modules in the proper order - in Linux and BSD, there is NO such problem of modules getting yanked out because of inactivity.

regards
Dev
dev

Postby rasta » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:19 pm

Dev,

Here is some info about the unloading from the opensolaris opensound forum:

"One way to help reduce the chance of modunload -i 0 from auto-unloading
modules is to export a property -- "ddi-no-autodetach". This will not
prevent intentional unloads of modules by an end-user, but it will
prevent automatic unloads of modules that are not in use.

-- Garrett"

I hope this helps.
rasta

Postby cwager990 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:39 am

Soution to this problwm on Solaris 10 is to add ossdetect to the end of your "/etc/profile" file using command<br> "gedit /etc/profie" and then type "ossdetect" at the end of the file and save
cwager990

Postby johnenla » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:39 am

there is NO such problem of modules getting yanked out because of inactivity..

Return to Solaris