oss freeze FreeBSD5.3

OSS specific BSD discussion (FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD)

Moderators: hannu, dev, kodachi, cesium

oss freeze FreeBSD5.3

Postby anxa » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:27 am

Hi,
I have FreeBSD 5.3, a soudcard Terratec Aureon5.1 PCI.
After 1 or 2 hours of listening a CD or radio streaming on the Net, the system freezes, and there is no other choice than a wild hard reboot.
Is it a known bug?
Thanks.
anxa

Re: oss freeze FreeBSD5.3

Postby dev » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:35 pm

anxa wrote:Hi,
I have FreeBSD 5.3, a soudcard Terratec Aureon5.1 PCI.
After 1 or 2 hours of listening a CD or radio streaming on the Net, the system freezes, and there is no other choice than a wild hard reboot.
Is it a known bug?
Thanks.

We have found a few issues with the CMPCI driver (which I'm guessing is the Aureon 5.1 PCI card. So run ossupdate and get the latest version and let me know if the problems persist.

regards
Dev Mazumdar
dev
Developer

Postby anxa » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:12 pm

I updated OSS: now, I have a tic-tic-tic in the background.
With osstest, there the same noise, and with soundconf my
card is CMedia CM8738,
and with ossTEST it's CM8768.
tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-etc
anxa

Postby dev » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:37 pm

anxa wrote:I updated OSS: now, I have a tic-tic-tic in the background.
With osstest, there the same noise, and with soundconf my
card is CMedia CM8738,
and with ossTEST it's CM8768.
tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-etc

Bizarre, I was getting the ticking sound with the original driver but not
with the new one.

OK we've reverted back the fixes and made one more mod. Can you download
the update and see if it works? (run ossupdate).

I've now verified that it works perfectly with XMMS on the native and virtual mixer
devices.

regards
Dev
dev
Developer

Postby anxa » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:11 pm

I try ./ossupdate, but it seems that nothing happens!
But yes, something happens: I can hear my sound card, and there is no more ticking when I tried ./osstest; the first time it whas ticking when testing /dev/dsp0, and not with /dev/dsp1,
and later, it was quite the opposite...
Now, it's OK, and the systeme doesn't crash anymore.
Thanks dev!!
A lot.
anxa

Postby anxa » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:00 pm

Hum!
5 hours laters, same problem.
The system is freezed, crashed, exploded, after starting OSS and XMMS on line. Time to live=5min after starting of OSS...
sorry.
anxa

Postby ondeaander » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:45 pm

I have this exact same problem on FreeBSD 6.1 i386 with an onboard Realtek AC97 and latest version of OSS:

I will run XMMS for a little while, and then a random combination of i/o devices freeze up: keyboard (no caps-lock light), mouse, screen, writing to hdd, and the audio itself, usually requiring a hard-restart.

Sometimes the sound skips and then XMMS freezes / audio stops, but I retain keyboard/mouse/gui control, but then when I try to save a file it will appear to have succeeded, but not exist upon restart (I am able to log off normally in this case). More commonly, the screen freezes, followed by loss of the keyboard, but I still have a [useless] cursor, and XMMS will continue playing as if nothing had happened until the end of the current track. Also: file explorer windows (various programs) will often freeze up when running XMMS; sometimes they come back after awhile and other times it develops into a full "crash".

Also: using aMSN causes the system to freeze or crash more frequently when XMMS is running (I think it may be because it's trying to play sounds from two programs at once, but that's not always the case, as it's also happened when just running XMMS, firefox, and thunderbird which uses the system speaker for newmail notification)

If I don't give the 'soundon' command and use XMMS, this problem doesn't seem to occur (but I can't be certain).
ondeaander

Postby ondeaander » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:05 pm

I see this forum is not very active .. In any case I think this problem is something with the x-server configuration, not OSS. Only, using the sound seems to increase the frequency of the crash.
ondeaander

Return to BSD