Redirect applications

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

Redirect applications

Postby aksdb » Mon May 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Is there currently some way to redirect sound output on the fly? Some kind of virtual master mixer maybe?

What I want to achieve is this: I have an onboard hdaudio device where I have my headset attached and a Creative Audigy 4 where I have my 5.1 speakers attached. For example when I listen to music it would be nice if I could just "switch it" to the other device. I know that PulseAudio could solve that problem, but it introduces a lot of other problems which I would like to avoid. So is there something within OSS4 that can handle this?
aksdb

Re: Redirect applications

Postby igorzwx » Mon May 03, 2010 10:19 pm

aksdb wrote:Is there currently some way to redirect sound output on the fly? Some kind of virtual master mixer maybe?

What I want to achieve is this: I have an onboard hdaudio device where I have my headset attached and a Creative Audigy 4 where I have my 5.1 speakers attached. For example when I listen to music it would be nice if I could just "switch it" to the other device. I know that PulseAudio could solve that problem, but it introduces a lot of other problems which I would like to avoid. So is there something within OSS4 that can handle this?

It is difficult to understand what you are going to do exactly, but I could do virtually everything (if not more) on ancient computers with OSS4 installed.
And it is made with a mouse click. I could speak with a frind by Skype, play music for him through Skype, and record all these, for example.
igorzwx
Known Member

Postby aksdb » Mon May 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Hmm I try with more detail for my example:
I have music playing via Amarok to my default device /dev/dsp which is linked to my hdaudio pcm0. Now I want to lay down my headset and listen to the music on my 5.1 system, so I want Amarok to continue to play on my audigy's pcm0. In PA I can simply move the application from one slot to another. Is there any way to do that without pulseaudio? Is there maybe a way to have /dev/dsp link to a "virtual" OSS4 mixing device that redirects applications to whatever of my two soundcards I currently need?
aksdb

Postby igorzwx » Mon May 03, 2010 10:42 pm

aksdb wrote:Hmm I try with more detail for my example:
I have music playing via Amarok to my default device /dev/dsp which is linked to my hdaudio pcm0. Now I want to lay down my headset and listen to the music on my 5.1 system, so I want Amarok to continue to play on my audigy's pcm0. In PA I can simply move the application from one slot to another. Is there any way to do that without pulseaudio? Is there maybe a way to have /dev/dsp link to a "virtual" OSS4 mixing device that redirects applications to whatever of my two soundcards I currently need?

I cannot understand. On my old box I have all sound on vmix and I can play everything simultaneously.
But if you have an USB headset and several soundcards, this simple method would not work.

EDIT: On ICH6 (or 7), I could switch from internal speakers to headset in vmix, or let them play simultaneoulsly, or connect everything and do what I want, except for that what I can do with Skype on ICH4 and old VIA card. But it is also possible to do the same with Intel HDA with another method.

EDIT: You see, vmix is in the kernel. If you would use anything like PulseAudio in the userland, the result would be the same: you would get another PulseAudio with the same sound quality.

EDIT: You may try JACK, it works with OSS4 (it would be better than PulseAudio), but JACK should be attached to vmix, which is attached to one soundcard.
igorzwx
Known Member

Postby cesium » Mon May 03, 2010 11:55 pm

As far as I know, this is not possible directly in OSS4 (I think it's possible to write an extension for moving a program between vmix instances, but there's no support for this now).
cesium
Developer

Postby aksdb » Tue May 04, 2010 8:02 am

Thanks for that info. So at least there's a chance for it in the future (although developer time is rare, so I probably shouldn't hold my breath ;-))
aksdb

Postby andrewz » Sat May 21, 2011 9:12 am

Try google some progs like sound capture.
astigmatism
P iCore7 266 16gig/ram
andrewz

Return to Linux