need suggestions for compatible USB audio hardware

OSS specific BSD discussion (FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

need suggestions for compatible USB audio hardware

Postby lm8 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm trying to get either FreeBSD or PC-BSD running on my desktop machine. The biggest thing holding me back is trying to figure out how to get as much of my current hardware supported as possible. I've been searching the handbook and the Internet and asking on the multimedia FreeBSD and PC-BSD forums, but so far, I can't find anything concrete. Was using a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card. It died on me. I need to get replacement(s) that can handle the same functionality, line in, line out, analog to digital of at least 24 bits 96 kHz and if possible, midi output support to play from timidity to my organ. I need to get a replacement (or replacements if the midi needs to be a separate device) that will connect by either USB or Firewire. Am hoping to find some options compatible with FreeBSD and/or NetBSD. Does anyone have any suggestions of what hardware will actually work and still do what I need?

Are there any good web sites that discuss what Firewire or USB audio devices work with FreeBSD? Does anyone have any practical experience of what worked for them that they could share? I would really like to replace my audio card, but don't want to make a move until I know I'm purchasing something that will actually function with the operating system. Any help or tips from experience greatly appreciated.
lm8

Re: need suggestions for compatible USB audio hardware

Postby cesium » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:52 pm

Try the freebsd handbook, or look at the source with svnweb/cvsweb (on the site) etc. OSS4 on freebsd unfortunately doesn't do USB (the USB wrapper layer hasn't been written yet).
cesium
Developer

Postby lm8 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:48 pm

As I mentioned in my post, I've already tried the handbook and several forums. Guess I'll have to go with using Linux or Windows for the machine if there's no support for the type of hardware I'm going to need to get my work done. Would have preferred FreeBSD as an option if there was a way. Don't suppose there are any links to projects where they're working on USB or Firewire audio support for FreeBSD? I'm sure people would volunteer to help if something were in the works.
lm8

Postby cesium » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Try the freebsd-multimedia mailing list. I'm sure these guys know the answer...
cesium
Developer

Return to BSD