192000hz sound card that can record with 1msec latencys

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium, kodachi

192000hz sound card that can record with 1msec latencys

Postby Jack1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Hello,

Is this possible has anybody achieved this with a sound card, 192000hz working with 1msec latency,

thankyou,

Jack.
Jack1

Re: Asus PCI Express

Postby Jack1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:15 pm

Sorry just found out

At the moment, OSS supports the Xonar D1/DX, D2/D2X and STX (basic).

What are the latency like? at the highest settings.
Jack1

Echo indigo io

Postby Jack1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:18 pm

I don't know if you know but this card is supported the pcmcia version, well I can record with dsp selected in my sound app, and I thought dsp is oss only not alsa:)
Jack1

Re: 192000hz sound card that can record with 1msec latencys

Postby cesium » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:59 am

I've merged all your topics, since they all revolve around the same question..

A) The Echo is not supported by OSS4, AFAIK. You're probably seeing ALSA's OSS emulation.
B) 1msec/192K? I guess it's possible (especially on high-end really expensive cards like the Lynx?), though one would have to edit osscore.conf to get it (raising max_intrate). Dunno how many latency one gets on the Xonars...
cesium

Postby Jack1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:41 am

cesium wrote:I've merged all your topics, since they all revolve around the same question..

A) The Echo is not supported by OSS4, AFAIK. You're probably seeing ALSA's OSS emulation.
B) 1msec/192K? I guess it's possible (especially on high-end really expensive cards like the Lynx?), though one would have to edit osscore.conf to get it (raising max_intrate). Dunno how many latency one gets on the Xonars...

Could you be of anymore help with this, I am almost 99 percent sure a Pci express card would be the best option, I was looking in to 64 bit 32 bit and only seem to have been able to find a 28 bit audio interface, do you know any cards that offer more than 24 bits . I came across SSE2 which lower lats for me.

I know in the future Pci Express cards that can record at 64 bit / 192 Khz will give zero latency's no delays nothing what so ever, its just hard trying to find which is the best option today.

With the Echo I am getting 1 sec lats all the way up to 66khz then it breaks, strange if it's alsa oss emulation, I can't get 1 msec lats with the actual alsa drivers, oss emu works pretty good then.
So any knowledge you have in that brain of yours you would like to pass along:)
Jack1

Postby igorzwx » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:45 pm

Jack1 wrote:
cesium wrote:I've merged all your topics, since they all revolve around the same question..

Could you be of anymore help with this, I am almost 99 percent sure a Pci express card would be the best option, I was looking in to 64 bit 32 bit and only seem to have been able to find a 28 bit audio interface, do you know any cards that offer more than 24 bits . I came across SSE2 which lower lats for me.

I know in the future Pci Express cards that can record at 64 bit / 192 Khz will give zero latency's no delays nothing what so ever, its just hard trying to find which is the best option today.

With the Echo I am getting 1 sec lats all the way up to 66khz then it breaks, strange if it's alsa oss emulation, I can't get 1 msec lats with the actual alsa drivers, oss emu works pretty good then.

If I am not mistaken, this forum is for OSS4 related problems. It has nothing to do with ALSA and ALSA OSS emulation.

You may find gurus on audio recording on Audacity forum (Windows, Mac and Linux).

If you want to learn about Linux sound systems, you may try this guide
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3933
igorzwx

Postby Jack1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:38 pm

igorzwx wrote:
Jack1 wrote:

If I am not mistaken, this forum is for OSS4 related problems. It has nothing to do with ALSA and ALSA OSS emulation.

You may find gurus on audio recording on Audacity forum (Windows, Mac and Linux).

If you want to learn about Linux sound systems, you may try this guide
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3933

It never intended to be about ALSA and it is not, and for your consideration I much prefer OSS, much better for me when doing full duplex play back and Recording you know DJ mixing, scrubbing.

All I wanted to know is which PCI express card can do 192kHz at 1 sec latency, I am a DJ, I mix and I scrub audio, is this to much to ask for, I find it really hard to believe that the coders here don't know this by heart.
Jack1

Postby cesium » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:31 pm

The coders typically post on oss-devel mailing list, while this is a support forum... I do wonder what setup did you use to test latency?
cesium

Postby Jack1 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:37 am

cesium wrote:The coders typically post on oss-devel mailing list, while this is a support forum... I do wonder what setup did you use to test latency?

Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo processor

T5500/5600 (2MB L2 cache, 1.66/1.83 GHz, 667 MHz FSB), supporting Intel® EM64T

Intel® 945GM/945PM+ICH7M

1 GB Memory DDR2 533

PureDyne x86_64 linux live cd

Sweep audio editor as the program used for mixing and scrubbing. I tried oss-devel link ERROR 404 - Not Found!

If you could be of any help that would great I have to eat can't afford to waste money making guesses, I am poor I can't afford the overpriced cards.

thankyou,

Jack.
Jack1

Postby cladisch » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:18 pm

Sub-millisecond latencies work just fine with the Xonar ALSA driver; the OSS driver should be able to do the same.
The cmi878x driver does not configure the ADC correctly for sample rates above 48 kHz, but I don't know how much effect this has on the sound.

Using PCIe doesn't reduce latencies; PCIe could be useful only if you have other PCI cards or PCI mainboard devices on the same bus.
cladisch

Postby Jack1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:01 am

cladisch wrote:Sub-millisecond latencies work just fine with the Xonar ALSA driver; the OSS driver should be able to do the same.
The cmi878x driver does not configure the ADC correctly for sample rates above 48 kHz, but I don't know how much effect this has on the sound.

Using PCIe doesn't reduce latencies; PCIe could be useful only if you have other PCI cards or PCI mainboard devices on the same bus.

Could you please name one PCI sound card that can do 96khz at sub-milliseconds below 1 msec, When recording and playing back at the same time.
Jack1

Postby Jack1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:51 am

What about if I brought a Intel motherboard with spdif input and spdif output and then connected a AD/DA converter to the Spdif input and spdif output, would I be able to get 1 msec latency like this? at 96khz or 192khz

Some of the Intel motherboards can do 192khz and 96khz at 1 msec latency when using the mic input, if the same can be said for spdif then it would be great fantastic could use any AD/DA converter:) and get low latency:)
Jack1

Return to Linux