DNS failures with mailman.opensound.com

Here you can discuss computing related topics in general.

Moderator: kodachi

Forum rules
1. Keep it clean, no flaming.
2. No religious posts.
3. No sexual/offensive content.

DNS failures with mailman.opensound.com

Postby tabicat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:01 pm

Every month I get an email from "mailman.opensound.com" reminding me of my subscription to the oss-devel mailing list. This email tells me I can go to http://mailman.opensound.com/mailman/options/oss-devel/timur%40freescale.com to modify my subscription.

The problem is that mailman.opensound.com does not exist. There is no DNS entry for this URL. Even if I use a third-party DNS lookup web site, like http://www.dnswatch.info/, it says that mailman.opensound.com is not a known address.

Searching for mailman.opensound.com. A record at C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. [192.33.4.12] ...took 3 ms
Searching for mailman.opensound.com. A record at e.gtld-servers.net. [192.12.94.30] ...took 14 ms
Searching for mailman.opensound.com. A record at ns32.domaincontrol.com. [208.109.255.16] ...took 92 ms

Nameserver ns32.domaincontrol.com. reports: No such host mailman.opensound.com

I also tried to send email to webmaster@opensound.com, but that email bounced:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

webmaster@opensound.com<mailto:webmaster@opensound.com>
The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

The following organization rejected your message: compusonic.fi.

On a side note, it took me several tries to post this message because I could not read the confirmation code. It's just too hard to read it, and I kept getting it wrong.
tabicat

Re: DNS failures with mailman.opensound.com

Postby cesium » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:15 pm

I was informed there was a server change, but it's still incomplete I guess... I think this address works if you'd like to email the mailinglist server admin. Also, thanks for informing that the visual confirmation is too hard - I've relaxed the settings.
cesium
Developer

Return to Open Discussion