Reverse stereo

OSS related discussion in general (i.e. not limited to Linux/Solaris/BSD)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

Reverse stereo

Postby natirips » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Is there a way to reverse stereo (system-wide) using OSS4 (preferably connector-wise)?

[Long and boring story]
My left and right headphones are reversed (yes, I put the one marked "L" on my left ear and the one marked "R" on my right ear). My speakers (connected at the back of the computer) are playing just fine, but my headphones (connected to the front panel) are playing reversed stereo. It is most likely my motherboard's fault because I used the same headset and the same speakers before on my old computer also using OSS4 and everything was fine.
[/Long and boring story]

I'm using OSS4 v4.2 under Debian GNU/Linux (squeeze) on amd64.
natirips

Re: Reverse stereo

Postby cesium » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:15 pm

Yes, you can using vmix.

Get and build the version from mercurial repo (see instructions here), and use "vmixctl remap" command. IIRC, "sudo vmixctl remap /dev/dsp 2 1" should do it for everything that uses vmix.
cesium
Developer

Postby natirips » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:21 pm

Edit:
I compiled the one from mercurial repository, and everything considering this post is done using that version.
/edit.

I am now using some of the back-panel jacks and everything is fine. The front-panel jacks are still stereo-reversed, and the command had no effect whatsoever.

So neither of the following has any effect whatsoever (all ran as root, tested using "osstest"):
Code: Select all
vmixctl remap /dev/dsp 0 0 0 0 6 5

vmixctl remap /dev/dsp 0 0 0 0 5 6

vmixctl remap /dev/dsp 1 2

vmixctl remap /dev/dsp 2 1
. :roll:

Oh, and by the way, the wiki forgets to mention "libtool" under dependencies. It's needed for "make build" part, I had to install it to build. (hypothetically libtool may only be needed for configure --enable-midi=YES)
natirips

Postby cesium » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:02 pm

osstest by default bypasses vmix, so you won't get any difference (including if you mute vmix or any other setting change). Try testing with "osstest -V" and I think you'll find out "sudo vmixctl remap /dev/dsp 2 1" line works. [99.99% of software don't try to bypass vmix (only other exception I recall is JACK), and you can add a parameter to osscore.conf to disable said bypass, so I don't expect this to become a problem].

As for libtool, yea, I'll add it to the wiki (I think it's only used for libsalsa. libsalsa is only built under Linux when some ALSA headers are found, and building it can be disabled with --enable-libsalsa=NO switch to configure).
cesium
Developer

Postby natirips » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Ah, now it works. Thanks.
natirips

Postby ojin11 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:40 am

I too had been recently wondering whether there was an easy way out there by which I could reverse the stereo headphones. Anyway, it is good to learn that we can indeed use Vmix. However, is there any recent version of Vmix available for download which includes this feature?
ojin11

Return to General Discussion