strange problem no sound

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

Re: strange problem no sound

Postby cesium » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:59 pm

But it does attach by default.. odd. Is there an error in the dmesg? Anyhow, for now, change the vmixctl line in soundon.user to use pcmin1 (even though it doesn't record now) and reenable the file (chmod +x etc.) - or just attach it manually. See if there's no EIO and if output works fine then.
cesium
Developer

Postby vamsi.chikati » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:45 am

There is no error in the dmesg.
I changed vmixctl to pcm0 and pcmin1. This configuration is not helping in emitting sound, nor in mic too(as expected).
I would like to debug this problem. Is there anyway I can invoke soundon with debug mode with lot of prints? something like that?
vamsi.chikati

Postby cesium » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:46 am

You can add "detect_trace=1" line to /usr/lib/oss/conf/osscore.conf and look at 'dmesg' output... You can also add code to print to the console ("cmn_err(CE_CONT, "[printf style]...) in the source (would require a rebuild though). If we're considering this, you can also try to change device init in kernel/drv/oss_hdaudio/hdaudio_codecids.h (e.g. change hdaudio_GPIO_init_1 to NULL in line 843).
cesium
Developer

Postby vamsi.chikati » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:55 am

As a first step I enabled detect_trace and tested few cases:

First case, default osscore.
case1.txt
(67.28 KiB) Downloaded 464 times

Second case, no auto atttach.
case2.txt
(68.1 KiB) Downloaded 481 times

Third case, no auto attach and vmixctl attach -M /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcm0 /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcmin1 (Though pcmin1 is not a functioning one).
Fourth case, no auto attach and vmixctl attach -M /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcm0 /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcmin0.

And for all cases I ran osstest, osstest -V. Results are more or less same except that osstest -V is case of plain "no auto attach" is not working as I thought it was. Atleast not all the time.

Please have a look at the attached dmesg, and see if you can see any think obvious in that log.
Thank you.
osslog.txt
(111.5 KiB) Downloaded 500 times

For clarity purpose I have run all 4 cases separately and added 2 logs inline and 2 logs below.
vamsi.chikati

Postby vamsi.chikati » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:51 am

Third case, no auto attach and vmixctl attach -M /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcm0 /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcmin1 (Though pcmin1 is not a functioning one).
case3.txt
(67.13 KiB) Downloaded 452 times

Fourth case, no auto attach and vmixctl attach -M /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcm0 /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/pcmin0.
case4.txt
(67.08 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
vamsi.chikati

Previous

Return to Linux