OSS4 and UBS Audio Class 2 Support?

OSS specific Linux discussion (x86/amd64)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

OSS4 and UBS Audio Class 2 Support?

Postby nyc_paramedic » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:42 pm

I took a look at the Wiki and installation notes and could not find the info I was looking for.

Does OSS4 support USB Audio Class 2 devices? I have a USB DAC that can decode 24 bit/192Khz files.
nyc_paramedic
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: OSS4 and UBS Audio Class 2 Support?

Postby igorzwx » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:30 pm

nyc_paramedic wrote:I took a look at the Wiki and installation notes and could not find the info I was looking for.

Does OSS4 support USB Audio Class 2 devices? I have a USB DAC that can decode 24 bit/192Khz files.


Drivers
From mid-2010 on USB audio class 2 drivers are available in OSX 10.6.4 and Linux.
Both support sample rates up to 384 kHz.
It is unclear if Microsoft is going to support USB Audio 2.
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html


Does it work with ALSA?

You can simply boot Arch LiveCD and test it with ALSA and OSS4.

Code: Select all
# ossdetect -v


Code: Select all
$ lsusb
igorzwx
Known Member
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: OSS4 and UBS Audio Class 2 Support?

Postby nyc_paramedic » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:40 am

igorzwx wrote:
nyc_paramedic wrote:I took a look at the Wiki and installation notes and could not find the info I was looking for.

Does OSS4 support USB Audio Class 2 devices? I have a USB DAC that can decode 24 bit/192Khz files.


Drivers
From mid-2010 on USB audio class 2 drivers are available in OSX 10.6.4 and Linux.
Both support sample rates up to 384 kHz.
It is unclear if Microsoft is going to support USB Audio 2.
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html


Does it work with ALSA?

You can simply boot Arch LiveCD and test it with ALSA and OSS4.

Code: Select all
# ossdetect -v


Code: Select all
$ lsusb



It works with ALSA. My question was in regards to an OSS driver.
nyc_paramedic
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: OSS4 and UBS Audio Class 2 Support?

Postby igorzwx » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:18 am

It is not very probable that there is an OSS4 driver for this particular "unknown" USB device.
igorzwx
Known Member
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: OSS4 and UBS Audio Class 2 Support?

Postby nyc_paramedic » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:48 am

igorzwx wrote:It is not very probable that there is an OSS4 driver for this particular "unknown" USB device.


What do you mean by "unkown" USb device? Does't OSS supprt standard USB Audio Class 1 devices? That is, if a USB sound card follows the UAC1 (USB Audio Class 1) spec and you plug it in to computer that has UAC1 support then the cars should just work. ALSA 1.0.23 has UAC1 support and ALSA 1.0.24 has UAC2 support.

Does OSS 4 has UAC2 support for standard USB Audio Class 2 devices? That's what I'm asking.
nyc_paramedic
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: OSS4 and UBS Audio Class 2 Support?

Postby igorzwx » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:19 pm

nyc_paramedic wrote:
igorzwx wrote:It is not very probable that there is an OSS4 driver for this particular "unknown" USB device.


What do you mean by "unkown" USb device? Does't OSS supprt standard USB Audio Class 1 devices? That is, if a USB sound card follows the UAC1 (USB Audio Class 1) spec and you plug it in to computer that has UAC1 support then the cars should just work. ALSA 1.0.23 has UAC1 support and ALSA 1.0.24 has UAC2 support.

Does OSS 4 has UAC2 support for standard USB Audio Class 2 devices? That's what I'm asking.


Do you mean "unknown"?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/unknown

OSS4 does not support USB audio devices: "output is experimental, input is not implemented" https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OSS
However, some USB audio devices may work with OSS4. For example: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OS ... SB1090_USB

You told that it works with ALSA. Right? Are you content with sound quality?
igorzwx
Known Member
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:31 pm


Return to Linux

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron