vmix causing crash in FreeBSD 6.2

OSS specific BSD discussion (FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD)

Moderators: hannu, dev, cesium, kodachi

vmix causing crash in FreeBSD 6.2

Postby BSDKaffee » Thu May 10, 2007 8:26 am

I am running FreeBSD 6.2 (i386) with an Intel ICH5. The latest versions of OSS (including 4.0 build 1002) cause my computer to crash when playing audio through the vmix system. I have tried xmms, mplayer and amarok. Sound will play for a few seconds and then the crash will occur. This does not seem to happen when using the real channel only.

The last version of OSS I have found not to make my computer crash is 4.0rc8 build 190. I tried several releases after this one and they produced the same results, but I figured it was just a bug that would get ironed out during the release process.

P.S. are the virtual channels able to be dynamically allocated yet in FreeBSD? (i.e. set everything to /dev/dsp and a virtual channel will be assigned)
BSDKaffee

Postby dev » Thu May 10, 2007 4:31 pm

I'm surprised that you're getting panics via VMIX. You can resort to softoss by editing /usr/lib/oss/etc/installed_drivers

As for dynamic audio channel allocation - the code won't work unless there is work done at the kernel level. The current EVENT_HANDLER() concept will not work for OSS because event handling doesn't care about whether the device is a input or output device. In OSS, we need to be sure that when a device is opened for Output, the new device allocated by event_handling is an output device.

We'll get this issue resolved shortly.

regards
Dev
dev
Developer

Postby veneficus » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:58 pm

I have the exact same problem with Nvidia CK8S using vmix.
FreeBSD 6.2-release and oss v4.0 build 1002
veneficus

Postby dev » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:14 pm

veneficus wrote:I have the exact same problem with Nvidia CK8S using vmix.
FreeBSD 6.2-release and oss v4.0 build 1002

You need to be more specific - how did the machine crash - what app were you playing - where's the ossinfo output? We cannot reproduce any crashes on our FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE machines with the ICH/Nvidia CK8S driver.

However you should be able to look at the crash, then look at /usr/lib/oss/build and fix up any problems related to FreeBSD kernel interface by changing osscore.c and running the install.sh script.

regards
Dev Mazumdar
dev
Developer

Postby veneficus » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:28 pm

Sorry for the lack of info. I just saw a problem that I have too and thought to let you know.
This isn't a big problem for me because I use esound for mixing and keep vmix disabled.
When I output to vmix-channel it seems to work but after a while my system freezes and reboots.
It seems to happen with all programs that play sound continuously (players like xmms,audacious, mplayer, ..)

Here is ossinfo output:

%ossinfo -v
Version info: OSS 4.0 (build 1002/200704040156) (0x00040002)
Platform: FreeBSD/i386 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Wed Apr 25 02:14:37 EEST 2007 teemu@veneficus.koti.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VENEFICUS

Number of audio devices: 7
Number of audio engines: 7
Number of MIDI devices: 0
Number of mixer devices: 1

Device objects
0: ich0 Nvidia CK8S
1: vmix0 OSS transparent virtual support

MIDI devices (/dev/midi*)

Mixer devices (/dev/mixer*)
0: ICH AC97 Mixer (ALC850) (Mixer 0 of device object 0)
Device file /dev/oss/ich0/mix0, Legacy device /dev/mixer0
Priority: 10
Caps:

Audio devices
/dev/oss/ich0/pcm0 Nvidia CK8S (device index 0)
Legacy device /dev/dsp0
Caps: DUPLEX TRIGGER MMAP
Modes: IN/OUT
Engine 1: Available for use
Engine 2: Available for use
Engine 3: Available for use
Engine 4: Available for use
Engine 5: Available for use
Engine 6: Available for use
/dev/oss/ich0/pcm1 Nvidia CK8S (device index 1)
Legacy device /dev/dsp1
Caps: DUPLEX TRIGGER MMAP SHADOW HIDDEN
/dev/oss/ich0/spdout Nvidia CK8S S/PDIF out (device index 2)
Legacy device /dev/dsp2
Caps: TRIGGER MMAP
Modes: OUTPUT
Out engine 1: Available for use
/dev/oss/vmix0/pcm0 Nvidia CK8S (VMIX0) (device index 3)
Legacy device /dev/dsp3
Caps: DUPLEX TRIGGER MMAP VIRTUAL
Engine 5: Available for use
/dev/oss/vmix0/pcm1 Nvidia CK8S (VMIX0) (device index 4)
Legacy device /dev/dsp4
Caps: DUPLEX TRIGGER MMAP VIRTUAL SHADOW HIDDEN
/dev/oss/vmix0/pcm2 Nvidia CK8S (VMIX0) (device index 5)
Legacy device /dev/dsp5
/dev/oss/vmix0/pcm3 Nvidia CK8S (VMIX0) (device index 6)
Legacy device /dev/dsp6
veneficus

Postby BSDKaffee » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:31 pm

I still get the same type of crash with build 1003 on FreeBSD 6.2. Same ICH5 with an AD1888 AC97 codec.

I built this version from the FreeBSD ports tree, but it shouldn't matter. I tried playing a song in xmms through vmix. It played a few seconds then everything froze - the sound stopped and the desktop was still visible but it did not react to the mouse or keyboard. Then a few seconds later the computer rebooted itself.

Softoss works fine.
BSDKaffee

Postby BSDKaffee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:23 am

I just tried the official package for 4.0 build 1004, same problem. The computer rebooted almost immediately after I hit play on xmms trying to play a small mp3 file with only an xterm running inside of twm. I haven't been able to obtain any memory dumps...the computer just reboots immediately.

I was getting some errors with softoss too in build 1003...haven't tried softoss in 1004. I actually went back to using 4.0rc8 build 190 for the time being. The errors were:
Code: Select all
OSS: Unable to allocate 65536 bytes for a DMA buffer
run soundoff and run soundon again.
osscore: Failed to allocate DMA buffer for audio engine 0/Intel ICH5 (24D5)

These messages repeated several times. Sometimes amarok, xmms or mplayer would not start playing saying that the audio device was busy. Then if I hit the play button a second time it would start playing. I never got any crashes because of this, the audio device would just seemingly be busy.
BSDKaffee

Postby dev » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:45 am

BSDKaffee wrote:I just tried the official package for 4.0 build 1004, same problem. The computer rebooted almost immediately after I hit play on xmms trying to play a small mp3 file with only an xterm running inside of twm. I haven't been able to obtain any memory dumps...the computer just reboots immediately.

I was getting some errors with softoss too in build 1003...haven't tried softoss in 1004. I actually went back to using 4.0rc8 build 190 for the time being. The errors were:
Code: Select all
OSS: Unable to allocate 65536 bytes for a DMA buffer
run soundoff and run soundon again.
osscore: Failed to allocate DMA buffer for audio engine 0/Intel ICH5 (24D5)

These messages repeated several times. Sometimes amarok, xmms or mplayer would not start playing saying that the audio device was busy. Then if I hit the play button a second time it would start playing. I never got any crashes because of this, the audio device would just seemingly be busy.

Hi,

The code for memory allocation is straightforward and I really don't know why the drivers fail to allocate memory. We need some help on FreeBSD...that's for sure.

regards
Dev
dev
Developer

Return to BSD