how to controll the volume from apps like xmms, gmplayer ++

OSS specific BSD discussion (FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

how to controll the volume from apps like xmms, gmplayer ++

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:59 pm

i just have a short question
how to controll the volume from apps like xmms, gmplayer and so on when using the oss driver?

Re: how to controll the volume from apps like xmms, gmplayer

Postby dev » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:47 pm

Anonymous wrote:i just have a short question
how to controll the volume from apps like xmms, gmplayer and so on when using the oss driver?

XMMS controls the volumes just fine. mplayer should also be able to control volumes. What device are you talking about?. Some PRO devices will not support standard volume control and you need to use ossxmix to control them.

regards
Dev
dev
Developer

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:32 pm

well it's a PRO device (m-audio) so i guess that's why.. does that mean that there's no way to controll the volume from these apps?

(i've tried to enter "/usr/local/lib/oss/bin/ossxmix" as mixer under xmms, but the volume-slider still doesnt control the volume at all, it does absolutly nothing when i slide it - the volume contunie to play at the same volume as before, no mather if the xmms-volume-slider is set to min or max or whatever)

the same problem applies to the balance-slider btw

- Andreas

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:11 pm

ok, i now see that ossxmix is a gui program so i guess setting it as mixer under xmms wont do anything... but nevermind that, back to my first question, what i really want to know is if there is a way to control the output volume with the xmms-slider (and mplayer if possible) when using a PRO device?

Postby dev » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:37 pm

Anonymous wrote:ok, i now see that ossxmix is a gui program so i guess setting it as mixer under xmms wont do anything... but nevermind that, back to my first question, what i really want to know is if there is a way to control the output volume with the xmms-slider (and mplayer if possible) when using a PRO device?

No there is no way to control volumes from regular apps because the Maudio 7.1 uses a "pro" audio chip which doesn't provide AC97 volume mixers. Until app developers start supporting the OSS mixer extensions the only way to do volume control is via ossxmix.

best regards
Dev Mazumdar
dev
Developer

Return to BSD