Inaudible sound

OSS specific Solaris discussion (x86/SPARC)

Moderators: hannu, dev, kodachi, cesium

Inaudible sound

Postby cochedelaferte » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:04 am

Hi Dev,

I updated this day properly my OSS installation (Sol 10x86), uninstalling the old package, installing the new after, also making all necessary reboots. No problem, all was fine, osstest runs as well with a good sound, but in the normal usage i get a very small sound, similar as inaudible (in ossxmix all seems good). Where can be the problem ? (OSS has allways fine ran on this machine and OS)

Second question : are the ALSA emulation libraries yet available for Solaris ?

Best regards,

Sergio
cochedelaferte

Postby cochedelaferte » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:51 am

HI,

Solved : that was only a question of cables assignment. I will rearrange its, physically or in ossxmix.

But i ask again my secund (most important) question : where can we find the ALSA emulation module ?

Cheers,

Sergio
cochedelaferte

Postby seawright » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:41 am

Not a definitive answer I'm afraid but currently the Alsa emulation in the Linux packages is broken.
Oss development has not kept pace with the changes in Alsa, so by inference it is unlikely that the Solaris packages have faired any better.
regards
Clive
seawright

Postby dev » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:54 pm

You might want to take a look at Doug's libalsa package in Blastwave.

Is there any reason you need ALSA on Solaris?

regards
Dev
dev

Postby cochedelaferte » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:24 pm

Thank's to you both !

My first goal was to see what happens compiling Jack, after that Hydrogen, after Ardour enabling the ALSA support.

After that all would come Rosegarden itself, i mean for the strict audio part for the moment. For Rosegarden my idea is following : actually i use it disabling sound, using Timidity with. The only problem with this method is that it's impossible to define several instruments. Maybe with the audio part supported...

Best regards,

Sergio
cochedelaferte

Postby cochedelaferte » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:44 am

Unfortunately, no found yet the alsalib package of Douglas Scott on Blastwave or anywhere. I'll try to build it from source (...)

Cheers,

Sergio
cochedelaferte

Postby dev » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:10 am

cochedelaferte wrote:Unfortunately, no found yet the alsalib package of Douglas Scott on Blastwave or anywhere. I'll try to build it from source (...)

Cheers,

Sergio

http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread. ... 6&tstart=0

But contact Doug Scott and he should be able to help you.

regards
Dev
dev

Postby cochedelaferte » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:26 pm

OK, i begun : i need to build the packages via Spec-Files-Extra, seems a really good way.

ALSA on Solaris : you are right, Hydrogen, Ardour and Jack works directly with OSS. The only real problem (for each musician, i mean) is to get any sound working sequencer-music editor. Except the ALSA solution, i see two ways for that :

1) any portage from Rosegarden, for example, to the OSS API ; but only the RG developpers can make that ;

2) a support or continuation from Sun of any existing Java project (like jHum or some other) .

But that all is only an old idea from me...

Cheers,

Sergio
cochedelaferte

Postby cochedelaferte » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:18 pm

Hi Lavendem,

Very good news, all that ! We are waiting since some years...

- Personnaly, i tried two years ago to use aRts : it worked really, but unusable because the "released note" information wasn't transmitted, probably a timer incompatibility between the versions of RG and aRts i used. That means that the notes was never released !

Of course, OSS seems now the most logical solution for Solaris. Also the ALSA adaptation principe, that could be compared, i think, with the nVidia driver, which makes the DRI itself. This kind of way can appear a bit complex, but is works, and fine.

Other hand, we are not the only ones interested by the OSS solution : all BSD and OSX users have similar problems with RG.

Cheers,

Sergio
cochedelaferte

Postby Tomservo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:40 pm

dev wrote:Is there any reason you need ALSA on Solaris?

Digging up this thread to give a reason:

Adobe Flash.

It dropped OSS support in favor of ALSA. Solaris is affected by that decision.
Solaris 4 lyfe
Tomservo

Postby seawright » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Tomservo wrote:It dropped OSS support in favor of ALSA.

Do you have a reference?
regards
Clive
seawright

Postby cochedelaferte » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:38 pm

For the moment Flash 9 fresh installed works OK with my OSS (also fresh installed).

Other hand Adobe knows that, for the Solaris version of Flashplayer, the ALSA suport can be only experimental, right ?

And other OSes ? AIX, HP ?

Sergio
cochedelaferte

Postby cesium » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:32 am

seawright is a little incredulous because ALSA exists only on Linux, so a statement like "Flash plugin for Solaris supports only ALSA" is quite odd. As you probably know, the Linux flash plugin can use OSS via libflashsupport. I guess the Solaris native flash plugin uses the SADA API, which is supported by OSS.
Hopefully, once OSS is default on Solaris, Adobe will give up on having two codebases and just let the regular plugin use OSS as well as ALSA instead of forcing the libflashsupport route.
cesium

Postby dev » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:15 am

OK the Flash player for Linux uses ALSA and on Solaris uses SADA (sun audio) - on Linux they do provide hooks to use libflashplayer.so but not on Solaris.

In Solaris you need to use the lastest version of OSS since the older versions used to cut the vmix output volume in half to avoid clipping when multiple adio streams are mixed.

In the latest version we have an "active" limiter that will limit the volume only if it clips.

Anyway, flash audio should work just fine on Solaris - I've tested Youtube videos and the volume is about the same as in Linux

regards
Dev
dev

Postby Tomservo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:51 pm

Well, I have sound again, anyway.

Because the last few days, I didn't get a single peep out of it, after I've installed r115 of the plugin. Searching the web, all references you find are telling me that they've stripped OSS support out of it.

I suppose SADA emulation was busted then. Would reloading sadasupport fix this?

seawright wrote:
Tomservo wrote:It dropped OSS support in favor of ALSA.

Do you have a reference?

Says so on Adobe's Flash page. Then again, dev said it's different, and by chance I have sound for a change today.

But since Adobe's still treating Solaris as a redheaded stepchild, you don't find much at all in regards to Solaris on their pages.
Solaris 4 lyfe
Tomservo

Return to Solaris