Hi,

The Open Sound System Wiki is now up at:
http://www.opensound.com/wiki/

Regards
Dev
dev
Developer

Postby cesium » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:59 am

Thanks! I've started a page at: http://www.4front-tech.com/wiki/index.php?Configuring_applications_for_use_with_OSS4.

[edit: try http://www.4front-tech.com/wiki/index.p ... _for_OSSv4 instead.]

Some notes:
Index page is too wide for some reason. I inserted linebreaks to make it slightly more readable.
No capatcha? Spambots will eat this alive.
A preview function would be nice.
Last edited by cesium on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cesium
Developer

Postby dev » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:04 am

Hi,

I have little admin knowledge about wikis.

I can set you up as the wiki admin if you want that responsibility.

BTW, let me know if you want to be a mod on the OSS forums, since Levendum has retired.

regards

Dev Mazumdar
dev
Developer

Postby cesium » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:53 pm

I don't know much about wiki administration either. Maybe someone who does will step up.
cesium
Developer

Postby Saoshyant » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:35 am

This is MediaWiki, right? I can help if you like.

I'm an admin of the Xiph.Org Foundation's wiki, as well as two private wikis.
Saoshyant

Postby seawright » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:42 am

I think you will find that it is PhpWiki which might be a little bit more difficult to secure.
regards
Clive
seawright

Postby Saoshyant » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:08 pm

Hm, I'm sorry, dev, but I think I will pass. My whole experience with wiki software is with MediaWiki and MoinMoin. While I'm sure it can't be hard to understand PhpWiki, I wouldn't be able to assure you and everyone that I would do a decent job, because I never touched this software before.

Edit: Ultimately, if you decide for MediaWiki instead, I'll be here.
Saoshyant

Postby dev » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:08 am

Saoshyant wrote:Hm, I'm sorry, dev, but I think I will pass. My whole experience with wiki software is with MediaWiki and MoinMoin. While I'm sure it can't be hard to understand PhpWiki, I wouldn't be able to assure you and everyone that I would do a decent job, because I never touched this software before.

Edit: Ultimately, if you decide for MediaWiki instead, I'll be here.

Hi,

OK I've now installed media wiki.

regards
Dev
dev
Developer

Postby SeaJey » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:05 am

Thanks, MediaWiki is more usable.
SeaJey

Postby Saoshyant » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:12 pm

I have been thinking of writing an open letter to Mr Torvalds regarding OSS 4. This wiki may just be the ideal thing for it. Anyone wants to help me out writing said letter? We could start by planning what points we would bring to attention regarding OSS, why is it a better alternative to ALSA, etc.
Saoshyant

Postby majeru » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:05 am

I think it's too early for this. Don't get me wrong, i really like the simplicity of the OSS API, and i like its multi-platform approach, but it still has some issues about things that work out of the box with Alsa (jacksense, power management) and we must fix these first.
PulseAudio is also gaining popularity and is getting into major distros (ubuntu 8.04 will have it as default audio framework), and that has all the neat features of OSS: mixing, per-app volume control remembered between sessions and supports almost all the sound API's out there, plus network ability with latency compensation. When ran on top of Alsa these features make them both better than OSS feature-wise and noone would like to switch.
We wouldn't have success in this action until OSS has anything that Alsa does, and until Pulseaudio works flawlessly on top of OSS too (on my box it currently fails to run).
IMHO, we can initiate this only when OSS will be a full feature-wise drop-in replacement for Alsa, and even then we couldn't be sure that the "Not invented here" syndrome wouldn't apply once again, like it did a lot in the linux kernel development history.

Best regards,
Cristi
majeru

Return to Announcements