High Pitched Squeal

OSS specific Solaris discussion (x86/SPARC)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

Postby kaiwai » Mon May 12, 2008 6:12 pm

cesium wrote:To get the mixer set automatically, we need two things:
A) Save the correct settings somewhere in some format.
B) Run a program to restore these settings automatically on boot.

A) Set the wanted configuration using ossxmix. And then:

1) savemixer as root, and see if mixer.save is correctly saved. savemixer -L -v should restore the mixers even without root. (The hg version of savemixer has a -f <filename>, so you can set the file used, and avoid root when saving too).

or:

2) 'ossmix -c' gives a long list of ossmix command to recreate the current mixer settings (The leading '!' is easy to strip). You can redirect this to a script and have it restore the mixer when run.

Now we need to do:
B) Run automatically.
I'm no Solaris expert so I don't know how to do this properly, but I think GDM has Xstartup/Xsession/etc. files? You can add a command to restore settings there. (The comments should tell you when each file is run).

The problem is that I tried to create a smf manifest but it doesn't work - no matter what I did, the savemixer -L /opt/oss/mixer.save was always loaded after the vmixer was loaded. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for divine intervention to occur.
kaiwai

Postby cesium » Mon May 12, 2008 6:34 pm

kaiwai wrote:The problem is that I tried to create a smf manifest but it doesn't work - no matter what I did, the savemixer -L /opt/oss/mixer.save was always loaded after the vmixer was loaded. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for divine intervention to occur.

I don't think this is supposed to work (unless the Solaris build has some changes not in hg repository). Per the savemixer source, savemixer -L doesn't take an argument. It always looks for:
A. /etc/oss directory, and /etc/oss/mixer.save file
B. OSSLIBDIR as set in /etc/oss.conf, and $OSSLIBDIR/etc/mixer.save file
As you can see /opt/oss isn't being referenced anywhere.

Later, a patch added a '-f' switch (savemixer -L -f /opt/oss/mixer.save would work), but I don't think your version has it.
cesium
Developer

Postby seawright » Tue May 13, 2008 12:00 am

In oss source:
edit kernel/drv/oss_hdaudio/hdaudio_generic.c
replace
Code: Select all
val = (maxval * 9) / 10;       /* 90% of the maximum */

with
val = 0;       /* 0% of the maximum */

in two places.
Save changes, recompile and install.

Ensure mixer.save is removed before restarting.
regards
Clive
seawright

Postby kaiwai » Tue May 13, 2008 6:38 am

seawright wrote:In oss source:
edit kernel/drv/oss_hdaudio/hdaudio_generic.c
replace
val = (maxval * 9) / 10;       /* 90% of the maximum */

with
val = 0;       /* 0% of the maximum */

in two places.
Save changes, recompile and install.

Ensure mixer.save is removed before restarting.

Perfect - I've compiled it and everything works - as it should :D I"m tempted to uploading it to a host for others to use.
kaiwai

Postby seawright » Wed May 14, 2008 8:33 am

If you get the opportunity you might like to experiment and check whether it was necessary to set both instances of "val" to zero.

Could the squealing be cured by leaving one or other at its original setting?

It may help to narrow down the underlying problem as this is the first case to have been reported.
regards
Clive
seawright

Postby kaiwai » Wed May 14, 2008 12:35 pm

seawright wrote:If you get the opportunity you might like to experiment and check whether it was necessary to set both instances of "val" to zero.

It may help to narrow down the underlying problem as this is the first case to have been reported.

Well, what I did was set in the section "Control for input amplifier(s)" to 0 whilst maintaining the output volume to 90%. As for the solution, I don't have an answer really; dev has been unable to fix the problem.

Here is a link for the download; I compiled it using Studio 12 with the latest patches:

http://www.adrive.com/public/467c92d490 ... 9758c.html
kaiwai

Postby zhiqi » Mon May 19, 2008 7:27 am

kaiwai wrote:
seawright wrote:If you get the opportunity you might like to experiment and check whether it was necessary to set both instances of "val" to zero.

Well, what I did was set in the section "Control for input amplifier(s)" to 0 whilst maintaining the output volume to 90%. As for the solution, I don't have an answer really; dev has been unable to fix the problem.

Here is a link for the download; I compiled it using Studio 12 with the latest patches:

I confirm that this package works great on my T61. Fantastic!
zhiqi

Postby kaiwai » Mon May 19, 2008 10:56 am

zhiqi wrote:
kaiwai wrote:

I confirm that this package works great on my T61. Fantastic!

As updated versions are released I'll upload them with the modifications.
kaiwai

Previous

Return to Solaris