left channel vs right channel's volume level

OSS specific BSD discussion (FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD)

Moderators: cesium, dev, kodachi, hannu

left channel vs right channel's volume level

Postby scooterphish » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:07 pm

First, let me say I am thrilled that the OSS drivers work when the FreeBSD native ATI IXP drivers don't yet support my laptop's sound card.
The problem/issue is this:
When running osstest, the left speaker is very audible - clear, no distortion, etc. The right speaker is barely audible, even at fully maximized volume (the dial on the laptop, not via software); at first I didn't realize the right channel was actually producing sound until I cranked the volume.
Some specs:
FreeBSD 5.3-Beta7
OSS/FreeBSD 3.99.1h
ATI IXP chipset on a Toshiba Satellite A65 (apparently modem and sound card are integrated or share IRQ? - under Linux had to disable/unload module modem so sound would work).
Any other info I should send through the normal support channels other than soundon.log (like ossinfo)?
scooterphish

Re: left channel vs right channel's volume level

Postby dev » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:44 pm

scooterphish wrote:First, let me say I am thrilled that the OSS drivers work when the FreeBSD native ATI IXP drivers don't yet support my laptop's sound card.
When running osstest, the left speaker is very audible - clear, no distortion, etc. The right speaker is barely audible, even at fully maximized volume (the dial on the laptop, not via software); at first I didn't realize the right channel was actually producing sound until I cranked the volume.
Some specs:
FreeBSD 5.3-Beta7
OSS/FreeBSD 3.99.1h
ATI IXP chipset on a Toshiba Satellite A65 (apparently modem and sound card are integrated or share IRQ? - under Linux had to disable/unload module modem so sound would work).
Any other info I should send through the normal support channels other than soundon.log (like ossinfo)?

Submit a tech support request. We are using an ASUS P4P800 ATI mobo and it works just fine - ie volume is stable on both speakers.

However if you have problems, adjust volume using ossxmix and then run savemixer and the next time you restart OSS it will load up the saved levels.

But we're happy to know that you find OSS a good product!

best regards
Dev
dev
Developer

Re: left channel vs right channel's volume level

Postby scooterphish » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:21 am

dev wrote:
scooterphish wrote:First, let me say I am thrilled that the OSS drivers work when the FreeBSD native ATI IXP drivers don't yet support my laptop's sound card.
Some specs:
FreeBSD 5.3-Beta7
OSS/FreeBSD 3.99.1h

Submit a tech support request. We are using an ASUS P4P800 ATI mobo and it works just fine - ie volume is stable on both speakers.

However if you have problems, adjust volume using ossxmix and then run savemixer and the next time you restart OSS it will load up the saved levels.

But we're happy to know that you find OSS a good product!

best regards
Dev

I did try adjusting the levels before I sent in the support request; same result.
I'll look forward to the next release, regardless of whether the issue is resolved (the fact that I have sound period is a good thing :) )
Keep up the good work, all.
scooterphish

Return to BSD