Open Sound System is an audio subsystem that provides a cross platform API and device drivers for most consumer and professional audio devices for UNIX® and POSIX based operating systems, including Linux. Owing to its open architecture, applications developed on one supporting operating system platform can be easily recompiled on any other platform. Open Sound System on Solaris supports x86, AMD64 and Sparc processors. It also provides support for the Solaris Audio API (SADA or commonly known as devaudio). SADA applications will transparently run on top of Open Sound System drivers and will co-exist with OSS API compatible applications.
- Supported audio formats
- Supports 8/16/24/32 bits/sample audio formats
- Supports sampling rates from 8KHz up to 200KHz
- Supports mono, stereo, quad, 5.1, 7.1 and multichannel audio devices
- Transparent Software based Audio Mixer
- Allows applications to share the same "real" audio device regardless of what format is requested by the application.
- Supports recording and full duplex in addition to playback.
- Ability to mix stereo and multichannel audio streams up to 7.1/200Khz/32bit.
- Supports full 24 bit range without loss of precision during internal computations.
- Each application has its own independant volume controls.
- Supports loop back recording. This enables you to "record-what-you-hear". Typically this is useful for recording streaming audio or trapping audio from applications
- 64bit internal processing guarantees audio fidelity and precision if the audio data needs to be converted.
- New device enumeration and mixer API makes it very easy to manage devices programatically.
Currently unimplemented or incomplete features
- power management features like support for suspend/resume
- jacksense may not work (especially the hdaudio cards found on many laptops have such problems)
Open Sound System is available under GPLv2/CDDLv1/BSD at: http://www.4front-tech.com/developer/sources/stable/
Wiki policy note
In order to discourage spambots, unregistered users cannot create new pages. Furthermore, a newly registered user has to wait a day before being able to create a new page. If it's really necessary, you may add content to an existing page and move it later.
Other OSS Links
How To Let Go of Insecurities 7 Steps To Build Your Confidence
Self-worth comes from one thing thinking that you are worthy. Wayne DyerIts okay to have insecurities, we all do and its crucial for us to observe and understand the impact these insecurities have on the quality of our lives.
9 Steps to Achieving Flow (and Happiness) at Work
[Flow means] being completely involved in an activity for its own sake. The ego falls away. Time flies. Every action, movement, and thought follows inevitably from the previous one, like playing jazz. --Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
Disney Brings "Cars" To Life With Cars Land
After five years in the making, Disney California Adventure is finally ready to rev up the engines on Cars Land. Disneys latest creation, based on the hit Pixar movie, brings the popular characters to life at Disney California Adventure.
Food People Power
For many years, people living in West Oakland had accepted eating unhealthy food as a way of life. That is, until a small group of people decided to change their community through Mandela MarketPlace, a non-profit that partners with local residents and rural, minority farmers to bring fresh agricultural produce to their local corner stores. Mandela MarketPlace now represents the difference that youth can make by challenging prevailing paradigms - you CAN select what you put in your body.
The Art of Motivating Employees
Could a simple five-minute interaction with another person dramatically increase your weekly productivity?In some employment environments, the answer is yes, according to Wharton management professor Adam Grant. Grant has devoted significant chunks of his professional career to examining what motivates workers in settings that range from call centers and mail-order pharmacies to swimming pool lifeguard squads.